record intro/lead in skipping issues

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

folk

record intro/lead in skipping issues

Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:00 pm

greetings,
I've been having this trouble with my lead ins - hand cranking on my overhead lathe. When playing back, the needle skips a little.
I'm playing back on a shitty turntable with admittedly not the best needle but this turntable doesn't skip on the lead ins/outs on other records so I'm sure the problem is mine.
Does anyone know what would cause this problem or what adjustments I need to make? am I cranking too fast? Is the height/angle of my overhead off?
any help would be appreciated.

petermontg

Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:39 pm

Hi Folk.

did you look under microscope to see if stylus is tracking ok?

All i can think of is there might be a small dent with feedscrew that could be lifting stylus out of the groove. Changing overheads height as it passes. have you tried with another screw?

How is your fingerblade set? is there much movement in it to absorb a possible dent?
Peter Montgomery
+353(0)894926271
peter(at)petermontgomerymastering.com

Stereo cutter head wanted. Send email or smoke signals.

folk

Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:41 am

Hey Peter,
thanks for the help - your tips lead me in the right direction and I managed to solve the problem...good to go now. cheers!

Aussie0zborn

Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:24 am

Excellent. For the sake of completion, can we know what it was for future reference? Thanks in advance.

folk

Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:47 pm

the left side of the feedscrew was rising up when I turned the crank. It was minimal before and I had only barely noticed it but it became progressively worse apparently to the point that the entire screw was rising about a quarter inch when I turned the crank. Peter pointing it out made me look a little closer. I removed several times, oiled etc. - none of which worked.
On the left side of the overhead there are two screws - one of which appears to do nothing, the other appears to do something. I had adjusted the "something" screw before but never the "nothing" screw...Once I did, it fixed the wobble. simple as that.
awwww, life without a manual for your lathe assembly!
cheers

petermontg

Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:30 pm

folk wrote:Hey Peter,
thanks for the help - your tips lead me in the right direction and I managed to solve the problem...good to go now. cheers!
Happy days, Glad to help.
Peter Montgomery
+353(0)894926271
peter(at)petermontgomerymastering.com

Stereo cutter head wanted. Send email or smoke signals.