Intro for Vestax VRX2000/owners??

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

jamrobot

Intro for Vestax VRX2000/owners??

Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:01 pm

Hello, new here.. im thinking of getting a vestax vrx2000 but am curious what the unforseen difficulties i will encouner when cutting my own vinyl. What are the common difficulties and thngs I should consider before making such a massive investment? Does the machine have to be perfectly level..

Are its styluses compatible to diamond ones or is there no point?
How long its taken you to learn to master for vinyl and what are some tips?
Does it make dubplates that sound as good as commercial ones and what difference is there?
What other alternatives to the vestax are out there and is its ease/quality better? Are there styluses that are better than the ones that come with it...

Sorry just there is very little info out there, would be good to hear from someone with first hand experience. I might consider making my money back by cutting for others.. will it take long to get my dubplates to a pro standard?

[moderator intervention, merged 2 topics by same user:]

Posted: 02 May 2012 05:44 am
Post subject: Vestax VRX2000 owners??

Hi does anyone here own this? Im considering getting it just wondering if its noisy and what other pros n cons there are for it? (apart from the massive price tag). Can you cut a track with similar results to a professionally cut white label? That being said i am really up for an adventure with this thing..

Are these better?
http://www.vinylrecorder.com/
or
http://www.vinylium.ch

opcode66

Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:12 pm

I think you will find some information about this unit by using the search feature on this site.

A lot of cutters have had very unpleasant things to say about this cutting system. The cutterhead seems to have had limited response. People have compared the cut audio with a train station p.a. system. That does not sound promising.

I have no idea where you be able to purchase original Vestax blanks from for this system. It was a miserable failure for Vestax. And, they quickly discontinued the model, the production of blanks and also cutting styli.

I have no idea what sort of shank the cutterhead takes for styli. My guess is that you could use one of the standard sizes with a custom made adapter if need be.

You will have no support from Vestax on this unit. There are people here who can help though.

Yes, you always want to cut records on level surface. Get a spirit or digial level and insure you cutting surface is level.

How long it will take you to get good sounding cuts out of a system really depends on your experience with audio. If you have little to no studio experience then you will be essentially shooting in the dark. Guessing. If you have experience working with and mastering audio then the transition to disc cutting should not be that hard. There is plenty of information here on this site to read. Read it. Don't just rely on asking questions. I studied disc cutting for almost two full years before acquiring gear. I'm glad I did becuase I likely saved myself from a lot of very expensive mistakes.

Good Luck! Welcome to the board and to the wonderful world of disc recording.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

Aussie0zborn

Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:19 pm

The Vestax system was a massive failure. It is unlikey that it can cut anything that you can play in a dance club or on radio or even charge people for.

You might be best looking at the Vinylrecorder and the Vinylium Dubcutter. You also need to read through the forum and you will get an idea of how much money you can make (or lose) cutting dubs for other people.

It's not a small investment for a hobby so you need to do your homework.