Idea for cutting material - pencil boards

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

cementimental

Idea for cutting material - pencil boards

Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:42 pm

Random idea:

A popular and cheap piece of merchandise for anime + manga in japan are pencil boards. These are basically fairly thin plastic sheets with artwork on both sides, used for resting writing paper on, or just for decoration.

Thought these might be an interesting material for cutting? you could make random anime picture disks!

Steve E.
Site Admin

Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:26 pm

Dang, I've been a bad moderator and I need a spanking. I should have followed up on this long ago.

Can you supply a link to an example of a pencil board? I don't really know what you are talking about, but this seems like a really good lead.

ameisevinyl

X-ray pictures

Sun Dec 25, 2005 4:15 pm

btw: my english is not too good, but i think you are looking for
acetate substitutes right?

i heard that people in russia used X-ray pictures as cutting material
long time ago when they couldn't get acetates because
of economical problems...

i checked it out: but xray-films from nowerday hospitals dont work so well for me...but maybe someone gets better results, it must work somehow!

peace
mart

cementimental

Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:30 am

Steve E. wrote:Can you supply a link to an example of a pencil board? I don't really know what you are talking about, but this seems like a really good lead.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pencil_board

They're basically just a thin plastic rectangle with artwork printed on! Around B5 size (7" × 9¾")

The art is I think printed on one side of clear plastic usually, so you could cut the clear side for a 1-sided picturedisk effect.

Imported here in the west they're usually likely to be sold at ripoff prices to anime geeks with too much money to throw around :), but in Japan you could pick up a tonne of them for almost literally nothing, cut circles out of them and make some pretty fancy disks!

Sure there will be some way to get a load cheaply. Maybe find a contact in Japan who's willing to hunt some down?

would be much thinner than a record but thicker than flexidisk.