Speaker efficiency vs watts question

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

RecordLabelTroll

Speaker efficiency vs watts question

Thu May 23, 2013 5:35 pm

Hey there trolls,

I have built a frankenlathe.

Its a Wilcox 6a10 with a stereo head i made.

results are pretty good for acoustic or clean music.

Problem I ran into is cutting lo-fi bands, i turned up the volume too loud and smoked one of the speakers

Bummer.

The speakers I was a using are miniature 5 w speakers that can handle 8 watts peaked before they smoke.

However they are only 86db a watt/meter

Now I was checking out the 4 w speaker 6 watts kaboom.

They are very loud 97db a watt/meter

I'm running through a 100 watts per channel and had good results for the 5 watts outta the amp.

Can anyone tell me if the 4 w 97db a watt/meter speakers would yield louder cutting results at the same power the 5 w speakers at 86db a watt/meter were at?

Thanks in advance!

-Tim

RecordLabelTroll

Re: Speaker efficiency vs watts question

Thu May 23, 2013 7:41 pm

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10200932527988364

Here is my lathe in action cutting slower than playback

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10200932539388649

The next link is the playback

I bought the 4 w 97db speakers, I'm pretty sure it'll work so that's it can cut louder than the 5 w 86db

yeah dawg

markrob

Thu May 23, 2013 8:31 pm

Hi,

That number refers to the acoustical efficiency and has no bearing its performance as a cutter. The BL product (force produced for a given electrical current), main system resonance, total moving mass, coupling stiffness all play a part in how well the head will perform. Unless you have a good handle on the physics of the the cutting process, you are really shooting in the dark.

Mark

RecordLabelTroll

Thu May 23, 2013 11:24 pm

This is my understanding on using a DIY stereo head

I read what the disk produced with just Riaa curve cut music.

Then matched the sound plot spectrum from the cut with eq to match the source music sound plot spectrum

I kept it as a correction filter eq added to the Riaa curve eq.

The head didn't resonant that much at higher volumes.

I made the moving mass pretty much as light as possible, with an old stylus holder from the crystal cutter head that came with the lathe, attached direct to the aluminum cones.

What I figure is that the 4w speakers are twice as loud as the 5w speakers and it would have to create more vibrations with less power needed.

So in my head it would create bigger waves to the disk making louder play back

Why I think it'll work to make the music louder is because I couldn't get the 5w speakers to get as loud as the 4w speakers unless I was driving 50watts into the 5w speakers (which would kill them)

I may have to adjust the correction filter eq for the louder volume, but I don't think theres anything else I can do as the head is identical except for the louder speakers

The 5w head worked fine, other than I needed to multiband compress and use a limiter to bring out perceived loudness to the music cuts

-Tim

RecordLabelTroll

Tue May 28, 2013 11:30 am

answer. using higher rated speakers at 97db a watt meter yields much louder cutting results then 86db a watt meter speakers.