ghost grooves

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Jesus H Chrysler

ghost grooves

Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:54 pm

When I emboss on poly, I encounter this phenomena wherein if the playback needle doesn't drop in the actual groove, it will still play a dirtier version of the song as it rides the land between the grooves. I assume that embossing displaces some material and creates a ridge on either side of the groove which is just enough to catch the needle and play this ghost groove. Anyone else experience this? If so how do you avoid it?

tragwag

Re: ghost grooves

Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:48 am

happens all the time to me,
I think it has something to do with the needle riding the side wall of the groove.
I have not found a sure fire way to avoid this, but sometimes more depth helps.
Sometimes nothing helps!
Just a given flaw with the embossing/impressing as far as I've noticed.
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

Jesus H Chrysler

Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:41 am

so it just comes with the process eh? Guess I'll keep working on it, One thing I tried that seems to help a little is to tilt the head outward from the spindle. In theory it should give a steeper groove wall on the inside of the groove and a smaller ridge for the needle to have to jump over on the way in. Not sure if it REALLY helps or not, but anything is worth trying. I don't want people buying a cut that I did playing it once on the wrong groove and going "this sucks, who cut it?"

piaptk

Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:59 pm

Definitely an unavoidable side effect of embossing/impressing. Peter Kings records do it too. I haven't really found anything that reliably fixes that, or tracking issues on cheapo, unadjustable turntables for that matter. As you probably know, there are so many crazy variables involved, it's impossible to figure out what it is that fixes most problems, because they end up coming back, and the original fix doesn't work. You just have to hold your tongue just right.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

tragwag

Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:38 pm

I added an FAQ on my site about this, hoping that people will read it (HA!)
I had an issue of someone publicly bashing an order I made him, before contacting me, and it turned out the 'ghost grooves' were the only issue. So it's definitely effected me too, I would just hope that anyone ordering a cut from you will ask what the issue might be.
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

ArchaicRecords

Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:58 pm

I have aluminum discs (with recordings) from the 1930s. Apparently they were embossed as well, as you can hear the ghosting sounds between grooves if the stylus is not riding in a groove. The land between the grooves is not flat on these either, so, to play them, the playback stylus must be properly set in a groove or it will never fall in. I would say that embossing displaces the material, forcing it upwards above the disc, since it does not cut the material away - I understand there is no chip/swarf.
archaicrecords.com

Techie

Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:17 pm

Occasionally I have the Ghost Groove thing happen on 78s right after I clean them. Any ideas about what might cause it with a shellac 78? I am using the proper stylus. It only happens on clean discs.

Graham B.

Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:25 pm

I've had this happen as well and found that what I'm cutting effects the ghosting sound. Sometimes a deeper groove minimizes the effect and sometimes a shallower groove. I feel like the weight of the playback stylus has the most effect along with the anti-skating. If the tone arm is weighted to one extreme or another and doesn't advance freely it rides off the center of the groove easier.