Tried cutting on Polycarbonate, broke my needle..

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

SueDenim

Re: Tried cutting on Polycarbonate, broke my needle..

Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:07 pm

Some great information here guys - many thanks to all ;)

I'm currently following a lead that, in Europe at least, a Bayer product known as "Bayloy 10" is the one we are all searching for.
Here's link to the data sheet: http://www.sheet.bayerpolymers.com/index.php/fuseaction/download/lrn_file/mf0039_e_130321.pdf

From Todd and Chris' explanations, the standard Bayloy 10 (black) with a 'glossy/glossy' finish seems to fit the bill.
I'm waiting on a sample to be delivered and will give it the razor blade test when it arrives.
Results to follow...

In the meantime, has anyone cut using this polycarb material before?

David34

Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:04 pm

Im happy to send a Souri black blank to anyone who wants to do the test.

I took a Clear bLANK disc into a plastic company here and they said look at the blank from the edge, if its blue'ish its PC, if its Clear its PVC (or vice versa - sorry it was a while ago now)

Can someone confirm this so I can at least get some clear blanks locally?

I did get some cut in PC, but it stuffed my needle and took an edge off the bevel. So I'm assuming the clear is PVC.

I would like to get coloured blanks from China, but they need to know what materials.

Appreciate everyones answers here you're all great !

Fuzzbox

Sat Jun 24, 2023 2:39 pm

Old thread but still relevant. Anyone follow up with the tests? Looking to avoid postage fees as well. Thanks

jjwharris

Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:28 pm

I had some swarf from a souri blank tested a few years ago at a university lab - they said it was PET, not PETG, but then I spoke to a plastic manufacturer and they said there wasn't a whole lot of differencc.
Record Lathe Embossing Supplies - http://www.supplies.johnnyelectric.co.nz/

Fuzzbox

Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:49 am

Cool, Thanks! Polyester is Pet and the g is added glycol. I'm thinking of getting art film which I can get as pet or PVC from grafix brand to make diamond cut flexis.
Anyone know of a cheap way to sandwich black or colors inside? All thick plastic is expensive above film thickness.

farmersplow

Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:33 am

There are relevant differences between PET and PET-G.
I have found a good explanation in this regard from the world of 3D printing:

It is a common misconception that the main difference between PET and PETG is the physical addition of a glycol additive to PET. While glycol is indeed a common plastic additive with a plasticizing effect, this is not quite the case with PETG.
" Glycol " is a generic term for a class of structures that have hydroxyl groups (-OH, oxygen and hydrogen) at two ends. There are many different chemical structures that can all be considered glycols. Different glycols have different properties.
So it is not that PETG contains significantly more or less glycol than PET, it just contains a different type of glycol.
(For details, see here: https://all3dp.com/2/pet-vs-petg-differences-simply-explained/ )

If I had a choice for cutting or making blanks, I would prefer PET-G rather than PET. (I would never use PVC).
Both PET and PET-G are only available crystal clear without color as far as I know. Colored or black sheets can therefore only be produced by inserting a colored film between two layers of PET-G (PET) - (similar to the windshield on cars).

David34

Wed Jun 28, 2023 6:19 pm

It is PETG. I can confirm this. Now to find a supplier of black close to Australia.

David34

Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:30 pm

any updates on suppliers anyone?

spinnertownblanks

Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:43 pm

David34 wrote:
We will have black PETG in stock from around April 14th. Currently we have white and transparent, black is on route to us soon.
Blank recordable discs and accessories for the lathe cutting world, based in the UK.

www.spinnertownblanks.com

David34

Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:46 am

spinnertownblanks wrote:
David34 wrote:
We will have black PETG in stock from around April 14th. Currently we have white and transparent, black is on route to us soon.
Sweet!! Hopefully not too much from the UK to Australia?...

spinnertownblanks

Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:24 am

David34 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:46 am
spinnertownblanks wrote:
David34 wrote:
Sweet!! Hopefully not too much from the UK to Australia?...
Unfortunately shipping is pretty pricey to Australia! Have a gander on our site, make a mock check out and see what you reckon. We've checked all options and this is as cheap as we can find it
Blank recordable discs and accessories for the lathe cutting world, based in the UK.

www.spinnertownblanks.com