Can't seem to locate any PC blanks,can anyone help?

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

rolls519

Can't seem to locate any PC blanks,can anyone help?

Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:55 pm

Hi,
Im not sure if this would be the right place ,im new to the site.
and hopefully i dont catch heat for posting this here because im guessing its been posted many times on this site but im still running
into dead ends
Im looking for someone who could supply me 10 to 20 polycarbonate 12" blanks.
Ive searched HIGH,and ive searched low and seem to find some but run into some kind of dilemma.

Ive tried Souri,can some one say bitter.

Ive tried diamond-cutting-stylus.com,who answered and was willing to sell me them, untill he heard it would be cut on a souri cutter
and continued to tell me i need to be experienced for his vinyls and i definitely need his needles and to be able to cut his PVC disc.
assuming the person cutting it isn't experienced.

Ive tried recordcuttingblanks.com ,but no answer.

Ive tried http://vinylike.de, filled my order and still waiting for an invoice,and tried to message them no reply.

Ive tried deepgroovesmastering ,I got one reply, but not a second to give my order and payment details.

Currently in the process of trying myshank.com hopefully this crazy search ends,im so frustrated.
Is anyone willing to sell me 10 to 20 polycarbonate 12" or 10" discs or is anyone willing to direct me in a more reliable direction

piaptk

Re: Can't seem to locate any PC blanks,can anyone help?

Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:06 pm

Hey, email me at lathecuts-AT-yahoo-DOT-Com... I can hook you up.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

rolls519

Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:10 pm

thanks alot for your reply.ive gotten ahold of deepgrooves and have already placed my order for what i need at the moment. :) but if its kool,ill definitely keep your email for future contact..again thanks bro :mrgreen:

tragwag

Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:37 am

im planning to start offering pc blanks pretty soon as well.
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

DaveRichter

Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:39 pm

with vinylike you'll go good. so, if they didn't answer directly- maybe call them. I'm sure you will get the stuff.
for me its the first adress... they make a good service.

opcode66

Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:23 pm

I had a my 40th bday within the last week. I was delayed in replying to this gentleman for that reason. I am ready to fill the order at their convenience.

I've also been making good progress with my cutterhead project. Sorry again for the delayed reply.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

rolls519

Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:42 pm

opcode66 wrote:I had a my 40th bday within the last week. I was delayed in replying to this gentleman for that reason. I am ready to fill the order at their convenience.

I've also been making good progress with my cutterhead project. Sorry again for the delayed reply.

thats totally fine, great service. thanks again :)

rolls519

Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:42 pm

opcode66 wrote:I had a my 40th bday within the last week. I was delayed in replying to this gentleman for that reason. I am ready to fill the order at their convenience.

by the way happy belated birthday. :mrgreen:

rolls519

Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:48 pm

DaveRichter wrote:with vinylike you'll go good. so, if they didn't answer directly- maybe call them. I'm sure you will get the stuff.
for me its the first adress... they make a good service.
thnaks for your reply
im in canada calling would cost a lot and i still have had no reply,sometimes auto reply may come in handy when a company gets huge demands.
In that auto reply message it should state, how they get orders in huge amounts and a reply may be delayed a week or two.lol
Almost everyone i contacted weren't in stock or didn't reply.i just assumed the same for vinylike. ill probably try again in the future,
but for now im happy with grooves.

rolls519

Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:01 pm

tragwag wrote:im planning to start offering pc blanks pretty soon as well.

Nice,ive been looking into the process and by my understanding, it dosn't seem to be much of a hard process for many.
Also just a question.hopfully its not to-much,if anyones reading this,has anyone ever cam across someone who have reversed engineered
there own version of the Souri cutter or anyone out there ,who offer this around the same price, who doesn't require you to travel all the way somewhere, for them to show me something ,just to be able to buy another thing. thats like me saying you can only buy this car,if you come to my country.but you are only aloud to buy parts and pieces from me only.. totally not fair. i dont mind the contract part ,but im not trying to travel to germany.thats another huge chunk out of my pocket

any suggestion on machines,i have two in mind ,but would love to see what other options i have

opcode66

Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:27 pm

I have motors all sorted out. I am currently working on a cutterhead. More videos to come.
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones

rolls519

Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:39 pm

opcode66 wrote:I have motors all sorted out. I am currently working on a cutterhead. More videos to come.
ya i totally checked that out yesterday,the sound test through the head.. wish you luck on the project an ill definitely stay posted for the finished project . i would totally fund this on something like kickstarter.com

opcode66

Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:58 am

I might end up going that route. I have nearly all the things worked out. I've spent time on automation control, bldc motor control, dc motor and servo control, a homegrown pitch/depth computer, and now the cutterhead. I don't have a platter worked out yet, but that is not an issue. I sell diamond cutting styli that I have custom made already. I sell Polycarbonate blanks already. The only thing left to sort out is a preamp and monitoring system.

SUNBEARS

Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:58 am

Polycarbonate Blanks are for sure hard to come by :)
Berlin is a Mastering Engineer and Multidisciplinary Artist based at The Loft Studio, Los Angeles, CA

opcode66

Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:16 am

All you need:

1. A plastics supplier which I can suggest a great one.
2. A CNC shop that will give you a good rate and that is close to you so you can pickup the final discs and avoid a shipping cost.
3. A CAD file for each of the diameters: 7", 10" and 12" that most efficiently uses the space of one sheet. I won't give up the big secret here... LOL
4. Time
5. Money

I typically buy 4' x 8' sheets of plastic, therefore my CAD design is for a 4' x 8' sheet which is 0.06 inches thick.

You must buy a sheet that comes with a protective covering on both sides. Be specific about this with your plastics supplier. If the sheets in question do not have a protective peel away covering on both sides then you don't want it. Polycarbonate. Bayer Makrolon G is what I use. It comes in different colors, black and clear.

I have to pay for a delivery fee for the plastics guys to deliver via a van the sheets to my CNC shop. I found a tremendously accurate CNC shop that makes very clean cuts. No rough edges. No plastic flare on my discs. Holes perfectly centered and of the exact size. This last point is a very important detail. Other CNC shops I tried did not get either the position of spindle hole correct, or the size, or both.

I explained to the people I work with on these what I'm using them for. They all love it and actually enjoy helping out. YMMV

I'd be happy to sell my CAD files for a reasonable price to anyone who wants to do this themselves locally. However, your costs will end up being about $1 less per disc than what I charge. Yup, I just told you my markup. Really, not much when you take into consideration the time and effort it takes for me to package discs and ship them out typically one day after being paid on PayPal. So, you could go through the hassle. Or, let someone with a good CNC shop take care of it. :-) Like me. However, I don't, and financially can't, stock all colors and sizes all the time. So, I can understand why someone might want to pursue this on their own. But, if it is because you think you'll be saving a boatload of cash. Well, that's just not going to happen. Sorry.

tragwag

Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:29 pm

the reason I'm considering selling these blanks is I use a lot in my own business, and I'm a part of the local hackerspace group, that I can use as a member without additional cost. Just trying to provide a steady supply of blanks, as Todd is as well!
I'll make a public post when I'm up and running with blank supply.
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

opcode66

Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:14 pm

The more, the merrier! Cheers!