RCA MI-12701 Portable 78 RPM Cutter, need basic advice

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

haulofrecords

RCA MI-12701 Portable 78 RPM Cutter, need basic advice

Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:50 am

Hi, first post, hope it's in the right place!

I didn't go looking for a lathe, but this thing jumped out and bit me at a tag sale. I declined to buy it at first
because it doesn't precisely fit my 1960s audio collection, but a few days later I went back to ask if it was
still available. It called to me like a stray cat, so I brought it home and fed it some milk, and now I've
become fond of it and would like to learn more about it. Any and all advice and comments will be welcome.

It's a nice display piece, of course, and if that's all it is going forward, that's OK with me, too.
I'd like to find a disc to put on the platter, either blank or previously cut. What am I looking for (diameter,
appropriate brand name, other specs)? Where will I find one?

The drive rubber is really ruined. It looks like it was engaged with the rim for a few decades, so it's now a
half-round. Any practical and inexpensive way to restore that part?

If anyone has original documentation for this model, especially sales brochures, I'd love to have a hi-res
scan so I can reproduce it, or even buy some of this paperwork from another collector.

Thanks all!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tragwag

Re: RCA MI-12701 Portable 78 RPM Cutter, need basic advice

Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:37 pm

wow, thats in great condition!
contact Terry for re-rubberizing your wheel : http://terrysrubberrollers.com/
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

Techie

Re: RCA MI-12701 Portable 78 RPM Cutter, need basic advice

Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:20 pm

Yours looks like brand new! I have one, and it does a decent job. Terry made a new rubber roller for me, very inexpensive, and fast service. Private message me. I have documentation I can email you.
Have fun!