Presto Model Y Lathe

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Presto Repairs

Presto Model Y Lathe

Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:19 am

Hi Trolls,

2 days ago I was fortunate enough to aquire a very rare find...

A Presto Model Y record lathe with Australian 240v power source originating from one of australias leading am radio stations

Ive begun rebuilding it & discovered that the power switch and the mic switch were bypassed by the previous owner

I corrected the wiring and while flicking the power switch on and off repeatedly, the double cap for the motor failed

Ive priced several suitable replacement caps - Just havnt decided on which one yet

Aside from this and the mounting bushes for the motor, everything else appears to be fine... Platter + motor ran smooth and quiet until the cap went, the belt around the platter is soft and has no cracks in it, the cutter feed mechanism runs smooth and quiet with no wobble for both outside in and inside out

The 1C cutter didnt come with the lathe, but will permanently fitted unless the 1D on my 116-E overhead fails

I will be building a new timber box base for it and I am also looking into getting a perspex top formed for it...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Presto Repairs - Repair/Restoration service for Presto Recording Corp cutterheads and other similar styled brands such as Audax, RCA & Universal

Aussie0zborn

Re: Presto Model Y Lathe

Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:16 am

Nice find. Well done.

Presto Repairs

Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:11 pm

Thanks Aussie,

I've temporarily replaced the cap with a cheapy from my local electronics shop and got it running again

Ive ordered N.O.S Replacements - Should be here in about 2 weeks...

Ive conducted a thorough inspection of the lathe and found 2 small flat spots + 1 chip on the platters rim rubber

I turned the rubber inside out and was able to clean up 33 and maintain good torque

running at 78 cleanly could only be achieved with the capstan running lightly against the rim enough for playback but not enough to cut - Too much and you could hear the flat spots

I am currently looking at two places to get a true endless flat bet to replace the rim rubber

I also need to replace the motors mounting bushes as they are old + Give the motor a service and get it running super quiet

I recorded a little bit of video last night and flicked it up on you tube - I had to limit the time because there were idiots racing eachother in their cars around our local area at the time I was recording

Presto Model Y Record Lathe - Run Test: http://youtu.be/lLFesDxIz6g
Presto Repairs - Repair/Restoration service for Presto Recording Corp cutterheads and other similar styled brands such as Audax, RCA & Universal

Presto Repairs

Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:29 pm

So far the rebuild has been going smoothly...

I've replaced the power cord and wiring throughout

Ive also replaced the toggle switches and even added a power light bezel

Funds are allocated to cutterhead supplies at the moment so the new flatbelt for the platter has to wait...

Ive also been thinking about making a new brass spindle pot for the platter and bearing to make the turntable run like brand new again

If I make a new one and it works well - I will consider making others

Also - I have to correct myself regarding the lathes model number...

What I have is actually a Presto 75-A Recording turntable with a 240v BRS motor

The model Y was a package (75-A turntable, 87-A Amp & Loudspeaker)

I only have the turntable....

The BRS motor is the same type of motor used in Byer turntables which were manufactured right here in melbourne australia...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Presto Repairs

Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:10 am

Not long until my 75A is gets fitted to its new home...

I decided to do the new base out of 32mm mdf, I had enough material to do 3 bases so if anbody is interested in a new heavy duty base for their 75A Send me a P.M

Lima Victor

Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:23 am

Don't forget metalized paper capacitors also degrade when they are unused in storage. Paper submersed in oil is more reliable. However, modern plastic foil diëlectrum capacitors have the longest life.

Auster

Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:54 pm

Hi there. Digging up an old post here. I have recently acquired a Presto 10A turntable, and am chasing some info. It runs well at both 78 and 33 speeds, but the rim tyre is cracked and unsalvageable, making it noisy during operation. Any idea on replacement options? I’m in Australia so trying to chase up pool pump seals as discussed in another post isn’t really a practical option for me.

Aussie0zborn

Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:07 am

Search "Terry's Rubber Rollers" here. Chances are he's already made one and has the specs, otherwise you'll have to send it to him in the USA. Very good to deal with.

Auster

Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:23 pm

Thanks for the info. I was hoping there may have been someone in Oz that someone had sourced. I’ll look into Terry’s and see how it goes. Cheers.

EvLoutonian

Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:04 am

Auster wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:23 pm
Thanks for the info. I was hoping there may have been someone in Oz that someone had sourced. I’ll look into Terry’s and see how it goes. Cheers.
How did you go with this?

I have some old Aussie broadcast turntables I've been meaning to source parts for for rest etc.
Good to know any Australian resources.

Cheers,
Evan