NOS Presto blanks

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Curley-Ann

NOS Presto blanks

Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:36 am

Hey there--
Does anyone have any NOS Presto blanks they wouldn't mind selling..?
I'm wanting to do a recording project, and the old Prestos have a nice "swish" sound to them in playback...it will make the recording sound "older" than what it truly is...

Steve E.
Site Admin

Re: NOS Presto blanks

Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:09 pm

Not sure I'd recommend that strategy! Old blanks can get HARD and wear out a sapphire cutting stylus in minutes. Says the voices of very sad experience. It's not like using old tape or anything.

EDIT: I see you were asking about this a couple years ago (http://www.lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4521&p=27709#p27709) and had a friend who had successfully done such a thing. So hey! Your Mileage May Vary. I never tried heating an old blank....it is quite possible there are tactics for getting good results that I have not explored.

Curley-Ann

Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:48 am

Well...
If it means anything...
A friend of mine did have some Prestos that, a couple of years ago, he had cut for me--he put a classic radio program on them for me, and they turned out fairly well...I still play them...so, there could be schools on both that they're ok and not ok...
I guess it would just depend on the CONDITION of the discs themselves...
(He also...just for experimental purposes...laminated cardboard poster board discs and did some 78 "tests" on his old Recordio machine...the results sounded like recordings that would have been made back in the early 1900's-!)

dubcutter89

Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:12 am

Wanted: ANYTHING ORTOFON related to cutting...thx