Here's a bit of super-obscure lathe history....

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Deke Dickerson

Here's a bit of super-obscure lathe history....

Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:03 pm

I was looking through a vintage Cinema Engineering catalog from around 1950-1951, and saw this amazing mechanical EQ they used to make to compensate for the high end loss as the groove gets closer to the center.

As near as I can tell, this EQ had a spring connected to a string that actually turned up the high frequencies as the carriage moved in and pulled the string. You'd mount the EQ somewhere on the lathe and set the spring tension, and it would slowly turn up the high end as the carriage got closer to the center. Pretty ingenious "old school" way of accomplishing this, pre-computers, no relays or switches needed.

In the photo, one of these devices is hooked up to what looks like (to me) an Arcturus lathe.

Anybody ever SEEN one of these things?

Also on the same flyer, interesting to note, Cinema also sold the first RIAA-compensated equalizer, also for disc cutting purposes.

Cinema is sort of a footnote in audio history, which is too bad, because they also made the first integrated mixing console, around this same time.

Deke
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

piaptk

Re: Here's a bit of super-obscure lathe history....

Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:33 am

Seems like that works very similar to the Presto automatic equalizer. I have one for a PResto 6N if you are interested. Never used it, though...
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com