limit of vinylrecorder T560?

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Babooino

Re: limit of vinylrecorder T560?

Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:21 pm

i never had a treble problem with my vr (only with damaged diamonds). it was loud and clear. i sold it to another fellow troll and he hasn't complained also..
isn't the riaa network located in the optimizer (not sure)? why are you bypassing it?

opcode66

Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:15 pm

My guess, and this is only an educated one, the louder clearer cuts you've heard are made on a VR with Feedback. You know? Makes sense...

You and I'm guessing this other Troll have the Dynamic version of the cutterhead which is affected by resonance.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

Babooino

Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:41 pm

actually my version was the dynamic one. last year, i went to souri's warehouse with an album i had just finishing mixing in london. i knew what it sounded like. i watched him cut it in the same machine he sold me and the sound was loud and clear. it is not easy, but with some effort one could make great sounding dubs with the VR and the dynamic cutterhead. the only catch is the technics's flutter.

opcode66

Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:05 pm

But, as has been stated, it is really certain program material that is causing the issue more than others. Did Souri cut the exact same track with the same dynamic system? This is important. Some music that is centered around resonant frequency will cause distortions whereas other music will not.

If it was the same music, the same gear, the same settings and it was louder and more clear the I suppose Souri can perform Magic...

There is a real explanation, which I think lies within RF, the specific material being cut, and the eq being appied.
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones

MEGAMIKE

Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:36 am

so the only explanation from you todd for a good cut on a vr is magic is it..

please go and work for the media ..there lookin now! people like you..

opcode66

Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:14 pm

Ha ha ha nice try.
opcode66 wrote:There is a real explanation, which I think lies within RF, the specific material being cut, and the eq being appied.
You missunderstand. I'm just trying to be humorous. If it is not in the principle functions of the machinery, electronics or an issue with the program material, then I suppose it must be magic. Which is another way of saying I think the issue lies within the obvious and not the mysterious.

I would like to get specifics from you to be able to make a good assessment. Can you please tell us if the material that was cut was the exact same track and confirm that the two systems were in fact exactly the same. I have a sneaky feeling that what Souri has in house is in some ways greatly differnent than what he sells to the public. Be that modifications, add-ons or simply more quality components used on the boards. You would never know if all you saw were the outsides of the cases for the rack modules. Also, if it wasn't the same track being cut, then real comparisons are hard to make. Especially with dynamic heads due to resonance. Some music will be much more problematic than other music if it has more energy centered around the RF of the dynamic cutterhead.

All things must not have been equal for there to be a difference, otherwise magic (which is said tongue to cheek). Quite obviously I don't live in Hogwarts... But, I do live in LA now and who knows, I may end up landing some IT work in The Industry here.

dimi751

Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:53 pm

Hi megamike,

Obviously you have the vinylrecorder systems, maybe you can give some advised and help on this issue?

I saw the picture of the riaa unit, I could be wrong but doesn't the treble knob seem too high?

What do you think ? This Is a very interesting topic really enjoy it.

Dimi

handcut

Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:44 am

I'm not sure if it was the same for everyone, but the final part of the training session involved dismantling the machine, preparing it for shipping and labelling everything up for reassembly at the other end. Everything that arrived in the shipping container was just as it was when we left it. Souri may be a little eccentric, but I seriously doubt he is malicious, so much so as to con people by switching components prior to shipping. Come on now, really??? :roll:

Aside from inappropriate source material, two things cause problems with this system: operator error due to mistakes (including expectations) and operator error due to not being able to measure things properly. For me, the latter is the major obstacle with this otherwise great system. I like to know exactly what I am doing, in a quantifiable way, so that things can later be replicated - especially when things go wrong. There are a mind-bogglingly large set of variables with this system, no labels, scant information outside of this forum, re-purposed components... Everything is done by eye and it is almost impossible to replicate the same conditions twice. Then there is the way in which the different components interact with each other, mechanically and electronically; the gain-staging, EQ settings, head alignment, stylus alignment...

Regarding the distortion, I'm curious about the amplifier. I'm going to do some thorough testing soon...

MEGAMIKE

Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:17 am

thanks handcut well said
and yes its the same for everybody..

and grandmaster todd
i will take you to task on all of your hate /bullshit on this great system..the tone is fake and it now appears quite
obvious that you are out to discredit them coz somewhere in your head you think this will affect your" Head"...

find somebody with a VR near you and do the shit on them then comment or get one yourself then comment..
.. right now its very embarrassing for you. .

you need to remove your head from your bottom and see there are more people in this world cutting than you..
you are not gods gift to vinylrecordists you are my friend a copycat and biter ....

and when bladejogging comes out and when it is not nearly close enough to a neauman will anybody on here give you shit for it??? no i think not...

you are smart enough to respect people yes..like we all have respected you for you future head..

biglovemega

dimi751

Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:02 pm

there was a really interested thread I read a while ago
Some guy with the vinyl recorder got the cuts to sound really good with the dynamic head.

He said he wasted a few good records and diamonds
To get the sound flat as possible on the head itself
And got really good results.

I doubt Souri uses bad business practice otherwise he wouldn't sell any vinyl recorders and the good thing is
The product is very reasonable priced

any progress with improving the trebles ?

I think you need to adjust your treble knob on the riaa box looks to high ? Maybe ?

JP_

Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:12 pm

Was away for a while, but its still the same embarassing attitude talking bullshit about competitors from this one member around. So bye, bye again...

To the OP:
I have cut with the dynamic head and the feedback head on 33 and 45 and never had these kind of issues. Have you bought it from souri? If yes ask for support and follow his advice. If not your unit may be damaged...?

marcy108

Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:01 pm

>>Babooino

do you think that you can cut this music that have much treble as best transfer?
https://soundcloud.com/user105332958/master

you say you never had a treble problem.but if the master was music that don't have much treble,maybe we also can have good cut with my dynamic cutterhead.

i bypass optimizer.because i don't like unwanted change my master.

>>demi
i still don't confirm,but if i drop treble knob on main unit.it isn't going to help distortion.
because i think it's same that raise treble on main unit and raise treble on my DAW.
but i will try drop treble knob on main unit and raise up treble on my DAW.
if to set treble on main unit may cause this distortion problem,when it's right,it can help.

>>handcut
>I'm curious about the amplifier. I'm going to do some thorough testing soon...
it's interesting opinion.please post test result when it finished.
FYI i suspect cutterhead stereo is bad quality.because sometime when i cutting,start music,sound from cutterhead have distortion.

>>JP
i also ask you.do you think that you can cut this music that have much treble as best transfer with dynamic cutterhead?
https://soundcloud.com/user105332958/master

you have souri's feedback cutterhead.
can it help this distortion problem?
i want to know quality of souri's feedback cutterhead.

------------------------
thank you everybody who post this thread.

opcode66

Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:00 pm

All I was saying is that Souri's Personal VR is likely different than what he sells. I didn't say the one you purchased was different once you got it home. If I were Souri, I would likely hotrod my own setup. That makes perfect sense. There is no embarrassment on my part.

dimi751

Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:46 pm

Hi Marcy

Another thing you can try, maybe the rca cable you using is cheap invest in better Rca leads that's if you
Have not changed them already.

I don't think you hardware is faulty the cutted sample you posted sounds ok

Did you try mark rob suggestions lowering the volume
On the ampli ?

Have you made any silent un-modulated cuts ?
Any noises from ground to earth in the silent cuts?

You can also try what Todd said in another post regarding calibrating your head for a flat response
Feed through a 20k sine wave cut it on the record then ripp the cutted record to the computer as a wave file
Open it in audacity and view as spectrum anylizer and see where the RF signals lye.

The topic is under newbys section 3 or 4 rows down.
Hope you sort this out soon

Dimi

dimi751

Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:26 pm

Read this Marcy hope it can help you

http://www.lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=5890

Dimi

marcy108

Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:53 am

hi DEMI
thank you for your help.

i changed RCA leads.
but the RCA isn't much high quality.maybe normal audio one.
i will try to change more high quality one.
i start think from this things,i suspect my PC.my PC is windows XP.
very old PC.so maybe not good sound board.i will investigate more about this thing.

i already try lowing volume.
i could get good treble.but volume was too small.it's -8db on souri's mater.

>Have you made any silent un-modulated cuts ?
>Any noises from ground to earth in the silent cuts?
i don't have any noise in the silent cut.

and i already did TODD's way.
my RF is 300Hz to 1000Hz.
i using an EQ and putting a dip in at the RF.

thanks.

dimi751

Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:42 pm

Hi Marcy

Windows xp will not be an issue but a cheap audio interface can be a problem and can cause distortion.

Do me a favour list your audio workflow for me
And tell me the brand name and model of the gear you have.

Dimi

Babooino

Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:29 pm

opcode66 wrote:All I was saying is that Souri's Personal VR is likely different than what he sells. I didn't say the one you purchased was different once you got it home. If I were Souri, I would likely hotrod my own setup. That makes perfect sense. There is no embarrassment on my part.
Well, i was taught to use the system on the very same unit i brought home. i actually helped souri and fritz to pack it afterwards.
he made great cuts on that unit with very good level and freq response. the music that was cut was something i produced and recorded myself in my 24tr 2" inch tape machine and mixed in london in a great vintage neve console. So it was something i knew upside down. The only noticeable thing to mention was a little flutter from the technics 1210 on long sustain notes. Souri did not use any EQ or pre processing. Only the Optmizer and a CD player.
Having said that, i agree it pretty much depends on the program. You just cannot expect to cut a digitally brickwalled master to vinyl without some tweaking. Even in a neumann system...
my sugestions:
-check for out of phase material
-mono everything below 300hz (or even 500hz)
-de ess a bit around 10k
-if you are mastering, do not use stereo image plugins or loudness maximizers..
-the less digital processing the better
-double check head weight as per the instructions (you gotta be picky about that one)
-check room temperature (25 celsius)
-Double....hmm...triple check stylus alignment and geometry
-Check the cutting angle (head base must be parallel to the blank)
-Use the optmizer for a while till you fell confidence to move to something else

I think that should work. It did for me...

my 0.2c

studiorp

Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:03 am

But exactly what does the vinyl optimizer ?

marcy108

Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:04 pm

>DEMI
my sound system is following

"cutting system"
PC(windows xp/DAW:REAPER) ----> main unit ----> amp(bought by souri) ----> cutterhead

"monitor"
technics ----> mixer(behringer vmx) ----> sp(YAMAHA MSP3)

>But exactly what does the vinyl optimizer ?
i think vinyl optimizer is just simple EQ and can adjust stereo image.
if there are any more function,please let me know.

thanks.