Anyone have Feedscrews Anyone?? Rek- O-Kut

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

MikeyV

Anyone have Feedscrews Anyone?? Rek- O-Kut

Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:24 am

already have the standard 120 OI feed. Am looking to expand my feedscrew collection. I have a Master Pro 13" Rek o Kut overhead lathe M125 model number.
105 LPI
135 LPI
210 LPI
240 LPI
270 LPI

OI preferably..........thanks

MikeyV

mratx

Re: Anyone have Feedscrews Anyone?? Rek- O-Kut

Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:56 pm

Which style feedscrew does the M125 use? I don't think I've ever seen that model, does it have the manual crank? I think I may have an extra feedscrew/half nut that fits the M5-S style, a 210 OI, but it could be it's for an M5, I have to dig it out and check.

Mark

EmAtChapterV

Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:25 pm

Pretty sure the -S suffix is for "spiralling", meaning it has the pressed brass gear on the outside end and the clockspring overrunning clutch near the inside end. The M12 and M5 (if the latter exists) without the S don't have these. Also the M12/M12S overheads only fit 13 1/4" blanks, so they're shorter than the M5S which fit 16" (nominally) and 17 1/4" (in a pinch) blanks.

If anyone has the 105 and 135 lpi OI screws/halfnuts for an M5S, or anything IO, I'd be interested. There also might have been 90 and 180 lpi screws available at some point but I can't confirm it. I seem to recall Rek-O-Kut was a subsidiary of a brass foundry company that may or may not still exist, and I've wondered if they ever had a back room with a bunch of dead stock.

mratx

Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:47 pm

The M5 exists, as I currently own one and previously owned another. However, the one I have now has the clutch and crank, the other one did not, so I wonder about the accuracy of rek-o-kut's labeling system. I also have one labeled B5 which is the same as an M5S, it has the crank and uses the larger feedscrews.

I do have a 120 IO feedscrew for a M5S, although I've never used it, and would have to verify that the halfnut is correct, but I don't think I'll ever have a need for it. So if you're interested in a 120 IO, let me know.

Mark