What happened with the DRC (machina.pro)?

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Self-lather

What happened with the DRC (machina.pro)?

Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:58 pm

I was super excited about this project. Does anyone know whatever happened with this?

rsimms3

Re: What happened with the DRC (machina.pro)?

Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:34 pm

I believe they weren't going to meet deadlines and refunded everyone's money. I think they mentioned doing more development.

ROLANDJAYS

Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:20 am

yeah , i tried contacting them, but i couldnt find a phone number, email or anything.
was i interested in working with them .

rsimms3

Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:38 am

Here it is:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1720863573/the-drc-desktop-record-cutter-a-future-for-vinyl-c/posts/1504785
Update #15

Feb 29 2016

DRC Viability...

As the DRC system backers are now aware... the DRC, in desktop form, is not achieving product viability.

This is predominantly due to component quality when bulk ordering from external suppliers... the DRC was viable based on initial quotations, but the parts [at these lower prices] didn't cut it technically, so everything has to be brought back in-house, raising costs exponentially. This could, in turn, be overcome by large infrastructure expansion... but from a company ethos perspective (and on a personal level), bulk consumer manufacturing is not the space in which we would like to exist.

For all Kick-Starter purchases, a full refund will be issued in the new financial year. For the DRC system investors, a full refund, plus 3% interest will be returned as a measure of gratitude, and to applaud their support of crowd-funding.

We will be continuing our R&D journey [out of the public domain] with focus on a full sized cutting lathe, along with a high specification turntable, both of which at functioning prototype level.

We sincerely thank you for your support!

Warmest Regards,

Machina.Pro

powerstrip

Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:27 am

A funny turn was when they said they had hit a bump in the road since they had to 'develop their own cutterhead' ... yes, that is a rather complicated process, something that took companies like ortofon, neumann, and westrex decades and years of RND/millions of dollars ETC.

something kickstarter can't really cover.

spiralinsana

Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:45 pm

Longtime lurker here, please excuse that this is my first post.

I was a backer for this project back in 2014. Contrary to what is written above, money has not yet been refunded, as with the other backers as far as I know. There have not been any updates since March when they announced the project was no longer viable and since then repeated messages have gone unanswered.

Is there anyone out there in contact with these people and who knows the situation? Are there any other backers who post here on the forum?

Getting inceasingly worried I'll never see that money again...