Grampian Trouble

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Lewis

Grampian Trouble

Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:40 pm

I'm new to this site and o glad I found it. when I was 14 I put all my pocket money together to buy a grampian type D head with a presto lathe and Grampian tpe RA7 amplifier. Man its so cool having a record lathe in your bedroom. I am 15 now and have been doing good sounding cuts of songs but theres this one song that when I play on a stereo throu normal leak tl12 amps and tannoy speakers sounds fine. However, when I cut it it goes all tinny and sqeeky. this is odd considering all my other cuts are of audiophile quaility.

Can anybody please help?

W.B.

Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:05 pm

I've noticed on some records cut on Grampian feedback cutterheads there is a certain tinniness in the sound at certain parts. Most particularly on Clarence Carter's 1968 single "Too Weak To Fight" (Atlantic 2569), especially when the horns come up. That might be part of the equation.

dhersk

Grampian

Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:58 pm

I found when using the Grampian D head that varing the amount of damping fluid and viscosity takes away the thiness.

I have cut both with the C & D head - C head was none feedback model. You could put higher levels on the disc with the D, and I used the Gotham Amp which I had modified by Howard Holzer (Heco)

Cutterwoller

soz about the delay, im back now!!

Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:39 am

Hey Man thats well cool that you started out on Grampian and a presto lathe as well as me. If you want to email me about how I can get mine to sound better, my email is:

lewisldurham@gmail.com

Please email I am very interested!!

Lewis

Chris G

Re: Grampian

Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:40 pm

dhersk wrote:I found when using the Grampian D head that varing the amount of damping fluid and viscosity takes away the thiness.

I have cut both with the C & D head - C head was none feedback model. You could put higher levels on the disc with the D, and I used the Gotham Amp which I had modified by Howard Holzer (Heco)
How many watts did you use for the C head?
And do you know the impedance for the C? I'm wondering which of my tube amps I can hook up to it.

cuttercollector

Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:33 pm

As to the orginal question posed, it brought to mind our phase discussions as of late. Might this be a song where a lot of the bass info is out of phase so when combined to mono to cut, all the lows dissapear and other phase related anomolies happen....?