new to cutting: vms70 getting setup

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

dietrich10

new to cutting: vms70 getting setup

Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:48 pm

hey guys-
recently picked up a neumann vms70 and will finally have it set up first week of May.

any advice on what i can practice cut on before order lacquers and dubs to do it. dont want to waste too much if i dont have too

D

jtransition

Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:43 pm

I would not cut on anything but lacquers with that system.....Far to risky.There are no short cuts i spent 6 months cutting dubs every day before i opened the doors.
Regards
Jason

JayDC

Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:14 pm

Welcome to the forum Jason!..

Aussie0zborn

Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:28 am

Don't cut on anything except lacquer discs. If you cant use lacquer discs, you should use lacquer discs and nothing else!!!

What's your set-up???

dietrich10

Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:37 pm

I am finally about to put the system back together since i bought and moved it 60 miles. Had to rent a place for studio now as floors up in my current studio are real bouncy(1890s New England house) and i dont think i could get it up the stairs anyways.

Luckily found someone that can hook it back up and work out any issues. I sort of cut a test dub when i picked it up. Zuma and the 74 head seemed fine.
Neumann 74 rack.
I still have a learning curve to go....
but i already have a # of clients waiting for me to be ready for them.

I move it out of the storage unit monday and into the new studio.
Finished the sheetrock and just need to paint the new walls.
Just need to the cash for the tech to put it back together for me
cutting lacquers-vms70 system

jtransition

Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:07 pm

Who is the tech?
These things are very complicated if your tech is not Al Grundy be careful because if you or he connects it up wrong it could easliy blow the head.
I would forget about the customers for now its gonna take you a while,Remember it takes a long time to get a good rep and a short time to get a bad rep.
Regards
Jason

Aussie0zborn

Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:30 am

Good luck with you set-up. I once moved a VMS70/SX74/SAL74/SP75 from New Zealand to Australia and set it up myself. I'm not familiar with the Zuma but the standard Neumann connections dont really allow you to plug the wrong thing in if its a complete Neumann system as mine was. Your system may be different. I then got an experienced tech in to fine tune it and it worked like a dream.

You are very lucky to have customers waiting - as Jason mentioned... keep them waiting until you are absolutely ready. Don't blow the head and watch those high frequencies!!

dietrich10

Mon May 05, 2008 9:29 pm

I trust the tech as he has worked on this lathe for many years for the old owner.

Should be next week!

Paladin

VMS70 inputs

Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:42 pm

Hey, I just picked one of these up myself, except I have the SAL74B. It's in complete working order. I used it before I bought it. My only issue is that I either don't understand if this is a tricky input or not. All I know is that the inputs are 5-pin DMX style, and that the instructions tell me to plug the SAL74B into the SP Neumann console. So is it merely that I need a custom cable to get there from my Digidesign which is quarter inch? I am trying to order a cable, but from what I understand, the input for each pin is that two are for Left Hi and Lo, two are for Right Hi and Lo and then one Ground. Am I making this too hard on myself? Should I merely send the same signal to each L-Hi and L-Lo, and let the Amp sort it out?

I also just noticed that it has some 1/4" inputs that werent being used by the guy I bought it from. It has four 1/4" inputs for each stereo-pair. So from my digidesign, should I then just get a simple splitter for each channel and let the Amp sort out the Hi and Lo?

Just trying to find the best way to do this...

cuttercollector

Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:59 am

Hi,
I have no idea what I am talking about with respect to their cutting systems, but High and Low are sometimes used for balanced analog lines like an XLR mic connector with "high" being "+" and "low" being "-". In an unbalanced connection low = minus = ground. So, typically you use ground as low and ground , and signal as high or positive when going from an unbalanced output to a balanced input. If your Protools has balanced outputs you should be able to just wire it up. Consult your manual for the pinout - XLR or TRS 1/4" phone. Use 2 conductor shielded cable and the appropriate connectors.
Or it could refer to 2 different input sensitivities....

flozki

Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:09 am

ui. i would advice to have some "professional" help
for setting up and all that.
one day. best with jvo from vinylium would be very good invested money..
where are you located?

i set up many sytems. you basically need a 5pin xlr to 3pin xlr cable.
kind of y-cable. on the 5pin there are both channels. and from there you will have 2 3pin xlr for left and right.
thats for the input

i suggest go for mackie big knob. there you have all you need for around 400-500 bucks....

flo

dietrich10

Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:42 am

hire someone before plugging things in. I blew my head aligning the system myself with everything hooked up correctly(had help when i first setup).

you do not want to blow the sx74. thats another 5k