Replacing Souri's cheap mixer

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

David34

Replacing Souri's cheap mixer

Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:15 pm

Hey trolls..

I MAY have brought this up before a while ago, so i do apologise.

I really would like to rid of that cheap Souri mixer. I have a Firewire Soundcard that I would like to use instead.

I know that someone on here has scrapped the mixer and just wanted to see and hear your ideas, and if any problems ?

Any chance of a picture? And a routing diagram - or am I being a bit cheeky here? haha!

Thankyou!

handcut

Re: Rid of Souri's cheap mixer

Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:51 pm

Hey,

Have a think about it... What is the DJ mixer doing? A/B function between source and recording, including necessary RIAA de-emphasis, controlling signal level using a fader and routing the signal to metering/monitoring. It is also adding noise to the signal path, but this has been discussed ad nauseam...

I think everybody here has come up with their own way, so you really should at least try to come up with your own way. If you have problems, I'm sure people will help, but it isn't really helping you if somebody just shows you how to do it.

tragwag

Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:08 am

I never used it!
my signal goes like this:
Logic Pro X -> Focusrite Sapphire interface (firewire) -> main unit -> LED meter -> Samson Servo 600 Amp -> VR head

I had been cutting for years before getting a VR so I didn't find the need to monitor during the cut for workflow reasons.
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

David34

Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:34 am

Thanks Tragwag for the suggestion.

I have thought about this WAY too much that it hurts my brain..

I would presume that the mixer is there for the phono inputs too?

I hate that I have to use this, but will be experimenting very soon with sound card as per your routing suggestion.

Point to where this has been mentioned and I will read read read then cut cut cut ..

tragwag

Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:11 pm

yeah exactly, so personally I've never monitored during the cut.
which makes the mixer useless for me, and I rid myself of that noise (and the possible ground loop from that and other components)

that'd be my suggestion! and just listen to the cuts afterwards.
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

David34

Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:40 am

[quote][/quote]

Yeah I like to monitor while its cutting. I will have a play around and see how can remove mixer.

handcut

Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:01 am

One solution is to use a DAC with two stereo outputs. One goes straight to your cutting chain, the other to the line input of the mixer. In your DAW software, route your audio to both outs. Then have the phono in connected as usual. This lets you cut without the mixer, but still use it for monitoring and A/B switching. A lot of the noise in Souri's mixer comes from the fact that the gain in maxed out. You have to free up the controls that are glued down, or just use a different mixer! You can use any mixer at all, it doesn't have to be a DJ mixer - but you will have to use a phono stage of some sort if you don't use a DJ mixer. The Mackie Big Knob is a great solution (the original one with a phono stage built in).

Be careful with your levels if you end up going straight from your DAW to your cutting chain. Gain staging is very important for good cuts. If the files you're cutting are hitting 0dBfs then a typical pro-level DAC is going to be throwing out peaks of around +24dBu! That's very hot, enough to drive your amplifier to clipping and blow your head.

TheCrates

Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:34 pm

+1 Mackie Big Knob! Working good over here.

Hedelain

Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:49 pm

I am using a Tascam M-520 mixer. It works very well. Very flexible and sounds good.

David34

Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:40 am

Excellent thanks all..

I will start my quest of removing that SHITTY mixer!

David34

Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:58 am

Cheers!

David34

Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:43 pm

any chance of a model number for the Mackie guys?