Lathe Cut Camp EIGHT - Oct 6-8 Columbus Day Weekend!

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

piaptk

Lathe Cut Camp EIGHT - Oct 6-8 Columbus Day Weekend!

Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:53 am

http://www.LatheCutCamp.com

(THIS CAMP FOCUSES ON NEWBIES AND THOSE WITHOUT MACHINES, BUT WHO WANT TO LEARN AND SEE IF INVESTING IN A LATHE IS A GOOD FIT FOR THEM, OR THOSE WHO RECENTLY ACQUIRED A LATHE AND WANT TO LEARN THE SECRETS!)
YOU ALSO GET TO CUT YOUR OWN RECORDS AND TAKE THEM WITH YOU!

October 6-8th, 2018 (Sat Oct 6 and Sun Oct 7th are the most important days, Mon the 8th is just additional practice and cutting of attendees records, in case you have to leave early)

THERE ARE ONLY 8 SPOTS AND EVERY PREVIOUS CAMP HAS SOLD OUT!

Spend three days in scenic Tucson, AZ learning (almost) everything you need to know about DIY Record Cutting! The focus of this camp will be on mono "semi-professional" machines, with particular focus on Presto 6Ns, which are one of the most common and "industry standard" vintage machines around. You can do some amazing things with these incredible machines, and I will show you how.
Bring your own music and we will put it onto discs for you to take home. We will touch on professional record mastering/pressing, but my main interest and experience, and the focus of this camp, will be on the more DIY and experimental side of the hobby.

Perfect if you are interested in:
Vinyl records and how their masters are cut
Learning how this strange black art works
Buying a lathe to make your own records
Ordering lathe cuts from a lathe cut service
Cutting your own music to disc

Topics covered:
The science behind vinyl record cutting
Lathe Operations and equipment
The pressing process
Lacquer dub plate cutting
Experimental and alternative materials (plexiglass, laserdiscs, picnic plates, etc)

Please Note: You are responsible for your own transportation to/from Tucson and your accommodations. However, the hotels here are pretty damn cheap (DO NOT book a hotel on Oracle Rd unless you enjoy the company of tweekers and ladies of the night).
RENTAL ROOMS AVAILABLE: And, if you want, I've got a cute mid-mod casita mother in law next to my house that I rent on airbnb, that can be yours for the whole stay (you can come in Friday night and stay until Tuesday, or longer if you want) for an extra $150, or a shared room in my house with a full size bed for an extra $100.

About the Presenter: For more info on me, please visit http://www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

soeffingodly

Re: Lathe Cut Camp EIGHT - Oct 6-8 Columbus Day Weekend!

Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:45 am

BOOKED.
"I wasn't lying. Things I said later seemed untrue."

SONARC

Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:52 pm

willis.jpg
ONE. MORE. TIME.

Ladies and gents, the late great Mr Wesley Willis, bumping this thread, in order to divert your attention to...

Lathe Cut Camp 8!!!
Columbus Day Weekend Oct 6-8, 2018

And really, what else is there to do on a lame excuse for a holiday like Columbus Day??

Go enjoy Tucson - it's beautiful!
Hang out with PIAPTK from this very message board!
Learn about lathe cutting, vinyl record making, and make your very own lathe-cut records!
And much more that I don't even know yet!!

The first time I went to Lathe Camp, I had just acquired a Presto K8, and needed a confidence boost so I could actually use it.
After the second time I went to Lathe Camp, I made a bunch of records and pushed the limits of what I thought I could actually do,
so I ended up getting a Presto 6N, and a bunch of other fancy stuff, so I could make even more records, even better than before!

Now I'm thinking about going again, and who knows what will happen?
Maybe I'll meet more cool people from this message board?
Maybe I'll stay in Tucson?
Who knows?

See you there??
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

soeffingodly

Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:47 am

See you in Tucson, GroundHog.

Funny, I am in the same boat. Rocking a K-8 and looking to upgrade to a 6N.

SONARC

Re: Possible carpool to Lathe Camp?

Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:57 pm

Hm. Finally back online after days of haggling with the city contractors who have been on our street all summer, who destroyed my front yard, and my fiber optic terminal, all in the name of urban progress.... Now I'm catching up with a ton o'stuff, and realizing I had dropped the ball on this and would like to figure out a way to make it work now.

Q: Is anyone attending this Late Camp driving down from the the PacNW? And.... would be willing to pick up a passenger who can pay for gas, etc, and hopefully won't bore you to death on the road sharing stories and tunes?

I haven't been a motor vehicle driver for almost 20 years now, and travel with a backpack and a folding bike. Usually I make these trips by train (Amtrak), and I could this time as well, but the scheduling is all wonky, and I'd either end up in Tucson two days before Lathe Camp, or the very morning of the first day with minutes to get there, plus, I would not be able to leave Tucson until the next evening after it's over. All well and fine, but I really don't want to subsidize a hotel for three extra days, even though I could more than likely find plenty of trouble to get myself into.

So.... I reckoned I'd throw this out there and see if anyone from this region (just outside Portland, Oregon) is heading down and would be willing to entertain the idea of carpooling together. There's probably a pretty tight window before I have to push the button one way or the other, so feel free to ping me at will. Crossing my fingers here....!

soeffingodly

Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:29 pm

Bummer. Sorry coming from the opposite coast.

piaptk

Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:27 pm

Lathe Cut Camp 8 is now sold out!

Might do another in January if anyone is interested.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.LatheCuts.com

piaptk

Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:11 pm

I’ve had three people in the last 24 hours hit me up about trying to get into the sold out lathe cut Camp. Considering doing another the weekend after. Anyone else interested?
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.LatheCuts.com

Xertz

Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:57 pm

Possibly, I'm trying to convince my parents to let me go right now.

piaptk

Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:02 pm

Xertz wrote:Possibly, I'm trying to convince my parents to let me go right now.
The rest of October is off the table now.. But I'm looking at early November or early December possibly.

Also, I may have an Audax magnetic cutter head that is designed to replace your crappy crystal cutter head that is dead. I just need to test it. I'm getting a funky rattle so I need to take it apart and see if I can fix it.
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.LatheCuts.com

Xertz

Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:02 pm

Would you offer cabins or that sort of thing?

piaptk

Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:55 am

It's not an actual CAMP... there will be no cabins. Sometimes I rent rooms in my house or my casita for $100-150.

www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.LatheCuts.com

Xertz

Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:19 pm

Haha, alright then.

Sillas

Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:05 pm

I’m interested in participating in the next one! Unfortunately missed the opportunity for Oct. :(

piaptk

Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:40 pm

I’m thinking about dec 8-10,2018.. for the next one.
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.LatheCuts.com

soeffingodly

Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:33 am

I had an AMAZING time at the lathe camp this past weekend. And all the folks who went were all kick @ss folks!

My only issues were that American Airlines sucks balls and royally d*ck punched me all weekend. Aside from that I learned a lot and had a lot of fun. Tucson is a great spot.

Full review/write up to come soon....

THANKS AGAIN MIKE!

piaptk

Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:18 am

Great hanging Scott!

Next one is in December!

Www.lathecutcamp.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.LatheCuts.com

soeffingodly

Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:46 pm

Record Lathe Camp 8 - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

The Good - What can I say? I had a lot of fun, met a group of cool, like-minded people and got to cut some records. The best part of the trip, aside from listening to Mike sing Kiss before day two of lathe camp, was the insane amount of problems and troubleshooting that went on. I truly appreciated the fact that I wasn’t some jackass who was fist-fighting learning the dark art of record cutting because I was a jackass. This isn’t an easy hobby, trade or what-have-you. It’s f*cking hard. All my pain I experienced in the past year learning to cut records was on display tenfold because there were 8 lathes running at once.

The Bad - American Airlines and missing the Flaming Lips. Between flight delays roasting connecting flights all weekend and drinking too many Kettle One and Sprites at the airport, I was junk when I landed in Tucson. Mind you I had already missed almost the first 3/4 of day 1 at this point. After landing at the lathe cave and spending an hour there, I had to make a break for it and get some sleep. Day 1 was a wash. And worst of all I missed the Flaming Lips I had purchased a ticket for because I would have been Debbie Downer.

Day 2 and Day 3 were both filled with adventures. Both in the lathe cave and in Tucson. There is a spot called Diablo Burger that has a sandwich called “The Big Daddy Kane.” We all liked that restaurant immediately. Mike is the mad scientist and is super cool to be sharing this experience/art with weirdos such as myself. I was able to cut on my lathe I purchased from him which was a priceless experience in and of itself. If I have the opportunity I see myself doing another lathe camp in the future.

The Ugly - Something always dies inside when you see a cutter head emitting an unnatural white smoke. Saving grace; the cutter head wasn’t completely toasted and still worked.

On the last day of the camp, Mike wound up having a gig in New York and we both ended up on the same redeye to Charlotte. After learning that American Airlines was late again on our flight we tipped a few back told some (bad) jokes and shared our love of music and records. And I hope to do it all again sometime. 

Thanks for playing such a great host, Mike.

piaptk

Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:21 am

Fake news. My jokes are The best ever. Everybody says so....
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.LatheCuts.com