can crystal cutter heads be rebuilt?

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

flashbk13

can crystal cutter heads be rebuilt?

Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:44 pm

As above title. I know crystal phono cartridges can. Thank you, Rick

piaptk

Re: can crystal cutter heads be rebuilt?

Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:08 am

You can regrow crystals, but those don’t sound very good even when they are rebuilt.

As someone who wasted almost a year (and a ton of money) with a POS rebuilt Crystal
Cutterhead, I’d say... save the hundreds of hours and dollars you would blow on trying to get even marginally listenable Cuts on that and spend it on a decent magnetic machine..
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

flashbk13

Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:37 am

ok, thank you for the advise, Rick

timinbovey

Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:47 am

My experience has been quite different.

I would say "yes" if you know what to expect and have it rebuilt by someone who knows what they're doing.

I had Gib as West Tech rebuild the Astatic X-26 cutting head that was in the Recordio console I inherited from my Grandparents. It was completely dead.

I inherited the machine in 1977, and had the head rebuilt probably 20 years ago. To this day it still cuts and sounds fine. Since then he's rebuilt a couple other crystal cutters for me.

That said remember that "sounds fine" is subjective. It sounds at least as good or better than the records my relatives cut on the machine in the 1940's. Perhaps because
I'm using better blanks and being more careful about setup and recording levels. But it's better than I expected. It makes records that sounded like they did when the machine was new.

Obviously you will never get the frequency response of a good magnetic cutter from a crystal cutter.

But yes, they can be rebuilt and bring you back to the sound quality of the head from back in the days when it was new.

If you're intent is to record modern bands with a full range of audio frequencies you won't get that from any crystal cutter, and also not from a vintage mono magnetic cutter either for that matter.
Depends on what you have and how much you want to spend.

Talk to Gib at West Tech. Yes they can be rebuilt and they sound fine as long as you're expecting things to sound like they were made on a home machine in 1947.

Tim in Bovey

flashbk13

Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:08 am

Thanks Tim for the indeapth info. Rick

45rpmdude

Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:44 am

He has turned me away in jan 2022.. Telling me he doesnt repaire them anymore.