ebay scams be careful!

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

soeffingodly

Re: ebay scams be careful!

Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:53 am

markrob wrote:Hi,

Do you see any other sign of life when you apply power(e.g. pilot lights)? Are you sure the step down transformer is producing 100 Vac? Have you sized the transformer correctly for the expected load? Have you tried feeding it a signal and checking to see if the meter shows activity? You should also be able to hear some faint sound from the head in cutting mode. If the unit is completely dead, check fuses.

Hope that helps.

Mark
Fuses! Good call.
"I wasn't lying. Things I said later seemed untrue."

Jacu1

Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:44 pm

I purchased a new transformer to step down to 100 - but I have not validated the output of the transformer itself as it was new. All lights come on when I power up and the platter does move into and out of position as I move from Standing to Forward to Recording and End. I don't hear a faint sound from the head. I opened it up and checked the inside and the fuses seem good (no obvious burn) and no obvious burns inside anywhere. All the belts are new. It looks pristine. I don't own any test equipment but I need to power it up and see if the motor is turning the belts or if they are slipping. Then I guess I need to check the motor and see if it is healthy. Next I will send a signal in and see if the VU meter is responding. I wish I had a schematic for this lathe. Thanks for your help - I will report back what I have learned to the forum as I investigate.

Jacu1

Terrible Re: ebay scams be careful!

Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:49 pm

I feel really bad for those who were ripped off. That is simply the worst thing I have heard yet. I can't even imagine and I hope you can go after him and get some justice on this. That is a lot of money to cheated of.

Jacu1

THANK YOU ALL! Re: ebay scams be careful!

Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:29 am

Mark - it WAS a fuse!! Now the platter is spinning! Thank thank thank you fellow trolls from a very appreciative newbie!

ArchaicRecords

Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:32 pm

There is currently a Vanrock/Atom A-101 listed for $2600 + $180/shipping.
Seller this time is duffledub in Israel.
Is it legit?
archaicrecords.com

antonn

Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:44 am

Yes it is legit, duffledub sells and restores lathes consistently + has 100% positive feedback.

duffledub

Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:57 am

Hey ArchaicRecords,
I'm duffledub and yes I'm totally legit :)
Any questions just ask me here or in a PM.
I restored and sold many Japanese lathes so you can purchase with confidence.
:D