Anyone know any <200 turntables with lots of torque?

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Xertz

Anyone know any <200 turntables with lots of torque?

Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:43 pm

Hey. I'm researching DIY lathe stuff and right now i'm wondering if anyone can find a cheap turntable suitable for cutting. Thanks in advance.

punkrock

Re: Anyone know any <200 turntables with lots of torque?

Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:27 pm

Look for a second hand Technics 1200 mk2. They're indestructible. Reasonable second hand price.

soeffingodly

Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:48 am

punkrock wrote:Look for a second hand Technics 1200 mk2. They're indestructible. Reasonable second hand price.
I've heard they have a lot of wow and flutter.

Was going to use an MK2 (I have a spare) for a project but after lots of reading and feedback from some of the cutting OG's I decided to not go that route. But then again I've seen people make it work so don't listen to this greenhorn. =)
"I wasn't lying. Things I said later seemed untrue."

symatic

Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:56 am

this one's built on the same OEM / Hanpin design as lots of other brands, like the stanton str8150. but this is really cheap and so far has seemed acceptable to the high-torque demands of the skratch community

https://www.turntabletrainingwax.com/epsilon-djt-1300-pro-turntable

Xertz

Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:50 pm

Thanks, symatic.

punkrock

Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:25 pm

soeffingodly wrote:
punkrock wrote:Look for a second hand Technics 1200 mk2. They're indestructible. Reasonable second hand price.

Was going to use an MK2 (I have a spare) for a project but after lots of reading and feedback from some of the cutting OG's I decided to not go that route. But then again I've seen people make it work so don't listen to this greenhorn. =)
I've cut over 1500 records using my old Technics 1200 and a Vinylrecorder, don't have the high torque extra external motor. Wow and flutter only appear if your cutterhead's weight setting is incorrect. I did experience that nightmare long time ago. Once you learn to control the beast problem disappears.

symatic

Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:39 am

I would also recommend technics above everything else :) they are still the best. It's not just about torque sometimes.

as a skratcher I prefer Vestax turtables, but I don't kid myself that they sound good :) I just prefer how they behave as an instument. I'm pretty sure they would be bad for cutting because they aren't isolated very well.

Xertz

Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:51 pm

Thank you for your information everyone :D . I'll put this all in consideration once i'm ready to buy.

boryo

Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:11 am

symatic wrote:I would also recommend technics above everything else :) they are still the best. It's not just about torque sometimes.

as a skratcher I prefer Vestax turtables, but I don't kid myself that they sound good :) I just prefer how they behave as an instument. I'm pretty sure they would be bad for cutting because they aren't isolated very well.
good to know some hip-hop people are in here :))) where you from?

symatic

Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:16 am

boryo wrote:
good to know some hip-hop people are in here :))) where you from?
yo! I'm based in the UK

KoreaSWeapon

Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:05 am

This model Victrola Nostalgic Aviator Wood could be found at ~$120 on amazon
Rebecca Asistio
Fresh vintage player guide
https://wisepick.org/best-vintage-turntable

Xertz

Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:08 pm

Thank you for your suggestion :), but isn't that brand (the new Victrola brand, not the old one) kind of notorious in the turntable world?

rhythm_changes

Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:48 pm

punkrock wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:25 pm
soeffingodly wrote:

I've cut over 1500 records using my old Technics 1200 and a Vinylrecorder, don't have the high torque extra external motor. Wow and flutter only appear if your cutterhead's weight setting is incorrect. I did experience that nightmare long time ago. Once you learn to control the beast problem disappears.
A bit tangential to the main topic of this thread but, would you be able to elaborate on your 'beast control' settings a bit more?

What is your cutterhead weight set to? What type of blanks do you use? Do you use the auxiliary precision plate? Do you find that diamond size plays a role? (I use MyShank diamonds, and in cycling through 3 or 4 of them, noticed that they come in a spectrum of lengths)

Tinplate

Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:01 pm

Since the topic has been refreshed, one of my proposals is the Technics Sl-1700.
It has the same engine and platter as the SL1200, but it is much cheaper, especially damaged ones.
From this turntable we can pull out the motor itself (the arm will also be useful, it is also the same as in the SL1200).
Not sure, but it is possible mod increasing the torque, it requires changing a certain resistor.
Also for maximum torque we can power it from a more powerful power supply.
Someone can try add some mass to a platter to get more momentum.

Another turntable is the numark tt-500 (not ttx).
Here often the arm, pitch slider and other buttons break, so you can buy cheap damaged but with a good motor.
This turntable has probably the most powerful motor of all DJ turntables.
(probably more powerful than all "Hanpin clones" as previously mentioned STR8150, or RP6000 or 12 other clones)
6kg/cm2 or more can probably be extracted from this engine with adequate power supply.
This engine is called MD-96407YH and is powered by 30V DC, maybe it would accept more when modded.
There is only the power-driver on the motor and waveform generation is done from motherboard by
TMS320 series DSP processor (maybe someone can improve the algorithms for more power and stable rotation).
Feedback is done by hall sensors and and high resolution optical encoder.

However, it should be borne in mind that powerful motors from modern dj-turntables produce strongly impulse torque.
In SL1200 it is not so strong, because of motor feedback construction and others, but there is there too.
We don't want record this disturbances from platter drive. This is revealed when you increase the load on the engine.
Try to increase the LF and volume, and you will hear the impulses of the torque of those BLDC motors.

For cheap platter drive, try focusing on the Technics Sl1200/1700, when stylus pressure is set correctly, it may be enough for some.
As an alternative try to consider some belt drive construction.

jjwharris

Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:17 pm

I went the path of constructing my own, mainly because I wanted multiple turntables. If you've got the machinery/skills/contacts it works out cheaper and gives you more torque. I started by reading Bryans Fairchild Restoration project. It's reasonably cheap to get a heavy steel platter made, the heavier the platter the smoother the rotation. I'm hoping to make some videos about how I have built mine at some point.
Record Lathe Embossing Supplies - http://www.supplies.johnnyelectric.co.nz/

cutz

Fri Sep 08, 2023 5:52 pm

I came across this old thread and wanted to updated it.

Apparently the torque on the newer Technics SL-1200MK7 can be adjusted rather easily. They also are able to play in reverse not sure how that would apply to this community but worth mentioning. These new decks have the digital pitch control rather than the analog pitch control included in the first iterations of the 1200 models (apparently the analog pitch control is more desirable for more precise beat matching). Also worth noting that Panasonic quietly fixed the pitch control on these newer MK7s because the first batch of turntables were 'inactive' around +-7-8.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XW-kPkF3IE

I don't have one myself as I'm still rocking a MK2 and MK3D. I prefer the MK3D because there is no middle notch in pitch control so you can really fine tune when you are around +-0.

Before I cam up on a ROK, I was considering getting the MK7 to use with a VR lathe because of this new torque adjustment everyone was going on about. Might be something to research and consider still.

Of course as other vets on here have mentioned, go to piaptk's lathe camp, see if this is something you really want to get into, get a lathe, practice and see where to go next.

tragwag

Mon Sep 11, 2023 2:21 pm

I'm sure it's been brought up but just for clarity here - the numbers most manufacturers are posting are for starting torque.
Running torque, especially at the outer edge is much less usually.
I tried cutting with a Reloop RP7000MK2 which lists a top torque of 4.5 kg/cm
it only worked within the 7in cutting diameter, it was flutter city on anything larger.
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:35 pm

I've been pondering the Denon DP-2000 thru DP-3000 series direct drives. I was able to purchase a reconditioned DP-2000 for $30 on Buyee in Japan. I lumped it together with other items I purchased there to reduce shipping and probably spent $50-60 all together. These models running here in the US go for $150 - $500, so big savings to buy overseas. These units use a tape deck head and magnetic strip on the underside of the platter to control the speed precisely.
Actually surprised I haven't seen one on a cutter yet.
https://www.vinylengine.com/library/denon/dp-2000.shtml
https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_reviews.php?make=Denon&model=DP-3000

markrob

Tue Sep 12, 2023 4:08 pm

Hi,

I have a DP2000 here that I got some years ago for around $40 at a junk store. Needed some cosmetic work, but runs fine. I just did a very unscientific finger test against my SL1200Mk2 and I would say it has less available torque. So, probably not a great candidate. I've never poked at the electronics to see if it is hackable to increase the torque via some mod's. If you can grab one at a low price, it might be fun to play with.

Mark

audiosteam

Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:51 am

I'd like to comment on this topic. Regardless of torque there's another aspect that is worth considering.
Keep on mind that all those turntables with a platter laying on a rotating spindle that is handling rotation drive AND platter support won't deal very well a cutting usage.

Models like the SL-1200 where the spindle solely acts as a support and the platter is part of the motor assembly are to be preferred. Because this type of design delivers better power transfer as the platter can be seen as an extension of the magnetic drive.