Souri's T560 Cutting Machine

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

JonB

Souri's T560 Cutting Machine

Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:53 am

Hi.

I'm very new to this forum and was hoping for a bit of advice.

Basically I've been a studio engineer in the UK for many years and would like to delve into the world of cutting lacquers/vinyl. I saw the T560 which looks really interesting but I have no experience in operating this type of equipment. I just wanted to know, how hard is the T560 to use and how does it compare on sound quality compared to a traditional lathe? Also is there anyone offering like a beginners course in the UK on how to cut masters or use this type of equipment? I saw that there is a 1 day course when purchasing a T560 and I'm guessing this is in Germany? From what I've read there don't seem to be much support after this course but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jon.

audiosteam

Re: Souri's T560 Cutting Machine

Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:33 pm

Welcome Jon.
All these questions already found good answers here .. in a nutshell:
Cutting is a job like any other job it takes time to learn..doesn't really matter what you use for starting if you're good at it. No secrets. No school but some nice books.. AES papers, historical stuff the bible and here!! Many wise trolls.
The VR is a very capable machine, If Souri sells you one.. yes you'll need to go to visit him, if you do ask to stay more than one day. Once you have it be ready to loose contact / support anytime for any reason.
As you go you will discover that few parts are to keep many to upgrade. The outboard and electronics are not really special. The head is a simple dynamic head made out of two car speakers. The basic setup with an SL1200 is not recommended for lacquers.
Don't discard using an old overhead with a nice turntable and a new head to make your own lathe.
Several UK users here, meet them before anything.

handcut

Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:35 pm

It's a good machine. Relatively affordable and makes nice cuts. It also takes modification well. It's the closest thing to an easy way to cut records that there is. Lots of people use them and are happy with them, including me. It's imperfections are offset by it's price in my eyes, customer service notwithstanding.

djnemesis

Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:44 am

Hey Jon, I bought one a long time ago. The sound quality for me was perfect. Only problems im having are with customer service from souri. Best advice you can get is if you buy one. make sure you write everything down perfect. even record everything. as ive never been able to cut since having to change a broken stylus.

Im relying on Handcut to save me on this issue haha.

Otherwise i think its a top machine. deffo need a silent vaccum of some kind. Im using a henry hoover at the mo but thankfully the hoovers in another room haha

punkrock

Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:55 pm

I bought my Vinylrecorder close to seven years ago.

Would I buy it again after all I've gone through in these years?

YES.

Discomo

Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:02 am

Simply an excellent machine. You need to get to know how to use it. Like everything. But then it's excellent.Highest quality possible.

misjah

Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:20 pm

Discomo wrote:Simply an excellent machine. You need to get to know how to use it. Like everything. But then it's excellent.Highest quality possible.
"highest quality possible" for the price yes....highest quality is done on a vms70 etc.

David34

Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:58 am

Love the machine and never had any problems with Souri. He's a blunt German, that's it. I was brought up w a German grandmother so I know exactly what they are like.

Once you cut a few (thousand) frisbees, and you get a close relationship with the machine - it will perform for you. I would recommend the high torque motor and platter and buy the 2mm blanks (12") - the 1.5mm warp very easy, I don't use them anymore.

I am going to be removing his little low quality mixer soon and replace w a sound card capable.

I would buy one again if I had to..

literal_screw

Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:31 pm

audiosteam wrote:
Welcome Jon.
Cutting is a job like any other job it takes time to learn..doesn't really matter what you use for starting if you're good at it. No secrets. No school but some nice books.. AES papers, historical stuff the bible and here!! Many wise trolls.
The VR is a very capable machine, If Souri sells you one.. yes you'll need to go to visit him, if you do ask to stay more than one day. Once you have it be ready to loose contact / support anytime for any reason.
As you go you will discover that few parts are to keep many to upgrade. The outboard and electronics are not really special. The head is a simple dynamic head made out of two car speakers. The basic setup with an SL1200 is not recommended for lacquers.
Don't discard using an old overhead with a nice turntable and a new head to make your own lathe.
Hello Jon,

I wanted to inquire further as to your above statement that "The basic setup with an SL1200 is not recommended for lacquers." can you please expand on that a bit more?
Why it is that the basic setup is not recommended for lacquers? Does it have to do with the wider cutting material, or pitch, or all of the above? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

trailerparkjesus

Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:08 am

literal_screw wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:31 pm
audiosteam wrote:
Welcome Jon.
Hello Jon,

I wanted to inquire further as to your above statement that "The basic setup with an SL1200 is not recommended for lacquers." can you please expand on that a bit more?
Why it is that the basic setup is not recommended for lacquers? Does it have to do with the wider cutting material, or pitch, or all of the above? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Lacquers were cut on systems pre 1960 similar to the t560 systems dashpot/counterweight system, although as others have said, the 1200 is a main weak link since it does not have the stability/torque/accuracy for commercial quality. There are a lot more "weak links" in the system that also contribute to why it is not suited for commercial cutting that I won't delve into. t560 is great for lathe cuts though!

fredbissnette

Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:55 pm

an sp10 mk2 or 3 is what you want for a deck
Instagram @styluspressurerecords

Vinylfan

Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:56 am

The dimensions and function of the T560 are very well adapted in combination with the SL1200.
Can anyone say what needs to be modified to use the T560 with the SP10 -only height adjustment of the cutterhead or further modifications?
Thank you

soeffingodly

Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:01 pm

Vinylfan wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:56 am
The dimensions and function of the T560 are very well adapted in combination with the SL1200.
Can anyone say what needs to be modified to use the T560 with the SP10 -only height adjustment of the cutterhead or further modifications?
Thank you
I can't speak to the SP-10 specifically aside from knowing many folks here use them with their VR. I use an SP-15 with my VR and I had to prop it up a bit since it was a bit low, but it works like a boss and has a lot more torque than the 1200 does. Especially on the outside.
"I wasn't lying. Things I said later seemed untrue."