Any Scully folks recognize this oddball tonearm mount?

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Deke Dickerson

Any Scully folks recognize this oddball tonearm mount?

Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:08 am

Hello all--

I recently (finally) got a microscrope stand for my Scully project, and that's when I realized that these odd bits I scored last year were part of a tonearm mount that was designed to fit on the 1" chrome pipe of a Scully microscope stand. However, I can't quite figure out how it is designed, and I thought somebody here might know who made these and how they were originally designed to work.

First photo is the main tonearm base mounted to the microscope stand in the way that I THINK it's supposed to work, with the tonearm hanging off to the right and the tapered arm on the other side used for ...tonearm cable??
IMG_3293.jpg
Second photo are two extra bits that I can't figure out what they're for. They don't have a space to mount a tonearm, but are clearly designed to be mounted on the same microscope stand. Possible designed to be turned around the other way and used for the tonearm rest/lift?
IMG_3292.jpg
Third photo is an alternate way of mounting the tonearm mount on the microscope stand. Perhaps the tapered edge is meant to go off to the right and have the tonearm rest/lift on it? But I don' think the tonearm will track correctly this way....
IMG_3291.jpg
Anyway, it's a bit confusing to figure out how the original manufacturer designed these to be mounted, if anybody can clear this up for me, I'd appreciate it! Thanks!

Deke
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Anavein

Re: Any Scully folks recognize this oddball tonearm mount?

Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:22 pm

Hey Deke

Good to see your back to making progress on your lathe.

I haven't seen to many of these brackets mounted to the microscope like this, most have a separate tower mount(originally) or a bracket mount from under the platter mounted to the base, usually individualy made.

However I believe the 3rd photo is the correct way for the arm to mount & the extra hole for the arm rest.

Photo 2 look like more brackets to mount on the lamp pole for anything like, cable bracket, tone arm rest etc.

I know Len has one mounted to his lamp for his Van Epps 78 finishing tool so maybe he might know as to who, when, why......

let us know

Deke Dickerson

Re: Any Scully folks recognize this oddball tonearm mount?

Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:58 pm

Thanks Anavein!

Progress has been quite slow but I think sometime this year it'll be cutting discs. Made some big steps in the last 6 months, now it's all coming together.

Deke