Montgomery ward problems

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Bhuzz

Montgomery ward problems

Thu May 02, 2019 1:52 pm

Hello. Very new to this. Been researching for a few months and just got my first lathe. It's a Montgomery ward (airline I think) it has a few problems. Vinyl will not playback (no sound from speaker) even though speaker works and I can hear the music from the needle. But I'm not really bothered about that. when cutting a vinyl I can see the cut but it won't cut sound. I know 1 valve is bust and IV just purchased another. But that's probably not the problem. Any advice and help on this would be much appreciated. Glad to be here.

emorritt

Re: Montgomery ward problems

Fri May 03, 2019 8:21 am

More than likely the crystal elements in the cutter/pickup. If I recall correctly, the MW units used the General Industries turntable mechanism, which normally included a crystal cutter (Astatic X-26) and a crystal setscrew-type phono pickup. (If you look under the turntable deck, you will likely see the General Industries of Elyria, OH sticker.) If neither part has been serviced recently, then they're dead. Back in the day, manufacturers used rochelle salt piezoelectric crystals for these parts. Over time, the crystals absorb water and stop working. Modern ceramic piezo elements don't suffer from that characteristic. Check with Gib at West Tech Services; he can rebuild the pickup and cutter for you, which should solve the problem. It also wouldn't hurt to re-cap the amplifier, as you probably have older capacitors that also absorb moisture over time and drift in value or develop shorts. This is standard practice for vintage electronics. Hope this helps.

Bhuzz

Re: Montgomery ward problems

Mon May 06, 2019 6:10 pm

Thank you for your help. I appreciate it.