Cutting timecode vinyl using T560?

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Makito

Cutting timecode vinyl using T560?

Tue May 14, 2019 8:52 am

Hi

Recently I got many requests to cut timecode vinyl (Serato, Rekordbox or Traktor etc.) so I wonder if it is even possible to cut them with T560?

soeffingodly

Re: Cutting timecode vinyl using T560?

Tue May 14, 2019 2:04 pm

With those new Phase DJ gigs I see these going the way of the dinosaur.

Besides I HATE HATE HATE the noise. I have to keep turning up my volume to drown it out. Neighbors aren't fans.

But to answer your question, I have no idea but I don't see why you couldn't?
"I wasn't lying. Things I said later seemed untrue."

handcut

Tue May 14, 2019 3:52 pm

It is possible. Be aware that the signal is proprietary and copyrighted.

dkmastering

Wed May 15, 2019 6:09 am

Not sure that a mathematique signal is the proprietary of anyone... it is free of use...

Also I can manage to buy the right for silence or 1k tones ... could be so funny.

You can cut your timecode in the way you want. No rights on that.

handcut

Wed May 15, 2019 8:01 am

dkmastering wrote:Not sure that a mathematique signal is the proprietary of anyone... it is free of use...

Also I can manage to buy the right for silence or 1k tones ... could be so funny.

You can cut your timecode in the way you want. No rights on that.
Haha. Good one. This is not neopilot tone we are talking about here or even BITC, SMPTE, MTC or VTC.... It contains position info, channel info and more. Serato's proprietary (yes, it is, sorry) system 'NoiseMap' uses a "maximal-length pseudo random bit sequence, generated using a linear feedback shift register". Or at least that's what they told me when I contacted them to discuss cutting control records, but obviously you know better... No idea what that means, I'm not a software engineer, but I do know it's proprietary and copyrighted. Perhaps other systems use something different/more simple, but I gave up researching it after Serato's response...

jonoaustin

Wed May 15, 2019 11:45 am

I contacted Serato some time ago and requested permission. They categorically refused. I would not do this...
Jon Niess
Austin Signal
https://www.austinsignal.com/retro

symatic

Mon May 20, 2019 6:22 am

Serato and Traktor (and most of the DVS companies) have proprietry tones, with extra noises on them partly to make them proprietry but mostly to give them features as listed above (position, direction etc)

I've heard of lots of people trying to copy them with dubs, it used to be kind of possible, just like its possible to get some sound out of serato by playing the right hi fi test disc, but it doesnt "work" properly.

The noisemap technology probably needs to be reproduced perfectly so dubbing it is naturally going to introduce some sort of difference from the original, once its been sampled on a stylus/cart/tonearm/turntable/cable/phono stage/mixer/more cable/ADC/software/DAC/morecable/IRIAA/more cable/cutting head/cutting stylus..........

Serato are notoriously difficult to persuade into licensing the tone also. I know a couple of people who had to work really hard to get them to license it to a couple of projects that were no-brainers as far as sales.

There is a DVS software on iphones/ipads now called DJ Player Pro, you can tune it to listen to any tone. So you could cut dubs of 1k maybe and get it working.