First Cut + Swarf Issue

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Xertz

First Cut + Swarf Issue

Wed May 15, 2019 6:24 pm

Hi. Long time no see! I really stoked because I just made my first cut on my Recordio. I had to stop because tons of swarf was gathering on the record and I was worried about damaging my new needle. I don't have a chance to listen to it (I don't trust my good needle with my sketchy record). Which unfortunately brings me to my next point. I want to know how to take care of the swarf issue because I can't continue without figuring out how to get rid of it (I cut on PETG if that helps)

Photos:

Help is much appreciated!
- Otto

piaptk

Re: First Cut + Swarf Issue

Thu May 16, 2019 12:29 am

Are you using a diamond on a petg disc? If you are using a sapphire you are going to ruin the tip.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

Xertz

Thu May 16, 2019 11:07 am

I was using one of Gibs metal needles.

piaptk

Fri May 17, 2019 3:41 am

I dont know what hes selling these days, but if its the old school steel cutting needles he was selling me a decade ago when i started, they dont cut plastic well at all. He told me they did, too when i started and i wasted a year using his advice, before i realized he was a radio repairman, not a record cutter and that he had no idea what he was talking about.

Was there a bunch of grinding and noise coming off of the disc while you cut? Any noise that comes off the surface while cutting is going to be present amplified in playback.

The only way they can possibly work on plastoc is if they have a conical tip and emboss. And since you are getting swarf, thats not the case.

Buy tungsten embossing cones from Farmer John.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.LatheCuts.com

piaptk

Fri May 17, 2019 3:44 am

Also, ive never gotten an old school steel needle that still cut at all. Somewhere on ehre somebody said that the metal degrades and starts to pit, and that makes sense to me because they spund awful, even when cutting on appropriate materials (but PETG DEFINITELY aint it).

100% Guarantee you will get nowhere with that combination.
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.LatheCuts.com

Xertz

Fri May 17, 2019 8:10 pm

Was there a bunch of grinding and noise coming off of the disc while you cut
No it sounded quite normal.
I dont know what hes selling these days, but if its the old school steel cutting needles he was selling me a decade ago when i started, they dont cut plastic well at all. He told me they did, too when i started and i wasted a year using his advice, before i realized he was a radio repairman, not a record cutter and that he had no idea what he was talking about.
Wow. I had no idea.
Buy tungsten embossing cones from Farmer John.
Will do.
Somewhere on ehre somebody said that the metal degrades and starts to pit, and that makes sense to me because they spund awful, even when cutting on appropriate materials (but PETG DEFINITELY aint it).
Good to know. I have an unlimited source of PETG, have you had any success cutting on it with tungsten?

piaptk

Sat May 18, 2019 1:58 pm

Yes, tungsten needles will emboss Petg I believe.
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.LatheCuts.com

piaptk

Sun May 19, 2019 11:29 am

Does your Petg have a textured surface? Or is it smooth? It looks like a lenticular lens in the photos.
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.LatheCuts.com

45rpmdude

Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:48 am

the needles may need sharpening,,, get a sharpening stone. and sharpen them in a cucrcular motion.