$40 mystery lathe!

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

timefraud

Re: $40 mystery lathe!

Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:08 pm

Got my head back and unfortunately Gib totally screwed up and attached the mounting plate to the wrong side!
2EFF1060-902B-4975-AC52-599738998375.jpeg
It won’t mount into my cutting arm because it’s supposed to be on the opposite side of the needle like shown in this photo below of my head before I sent it to him:
48E08A6E-FC03-4561-A7AD-C6DD536F970D.jpeg
It appears it’s all JB Welded together so I have no idea how to remove it and put it on the right side :-(
I haven’t heard back from him yet about how to remedy this. Any ideas are appreciated.

Also if anyone has a photo of what these look like taken apart it’d be very helpful so I could see if it’s safe to drill/ grind those rivets, unfortunately they seems to be packed in with epoxy rather than replaced
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

timefraud

Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:49 am

piaptk wrote:Yeah. He rewound a couple heads for me years ago, grounded the coils to the case or something so it smoked immediately after sending any audio through it (he only tests it by using it as a playback pickup, and doesnt run audio at all). I sent them back and he ignored my emails and calls for a year and eventually sent the dead heads back (WITHOUT THE MONEY I HAD ALREADY PAID HIM) and said “i dont have time for this, send them to Len.

When he started taking repairs again, i gave him the chance to make it good and he just ignored me.
Heard back from him, no apology, just said "Put it in a vice and you can use a electric hand drill to drill it out. I use the Epoxy in Red and black tubes. Do not separate the two halves or it will rupture the crystal. Gib"

Well after 2 hours spent dremelling and drilling it out cafrefully the head appears to work, my cuts are soooo noisey though. like I don't expect anything beautiful sounding and am pretty used to extremely lofi recordings but there a constant shhhhhhhh sound at all times. I understand that these things sound rough but this seems excessive. If anyone has any tips I'd love to know. I'm cutting plates with steal needles, taping em down and trying turtle wax. The music is audible but the hiss is so loud I can't imagine even noise kids listening to it.

timefraud

Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:45 am

Gonna start a new thread to trouble shoot the noise now that this thing is functional! Thanks for all the help y’all

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=5Kv5oLdUCL0

hawxguy

Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:20 pm

First post- I got an Airline on an auction- I haven’t picked it up yet but wanted to know what it’s worth for parts in case I give it a look and decide I can’t take on the project. Let me know if there’s any interest from anyone on here- thanks all!

https://cdn.hibid.com/img.axd?id=7867562694&wid=&rwl=false&p=&ext=&w=0&h=0&t=&lp=&c=true&wt=false&sz=MAX&checksum=jT1K5HZouYqG7YWANsvjJQqZ7xmR1LFV&h=200&w=200

p1cturelamp

Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:56 pm

I'm not sure exactly but from what I've seen probably quite a bit. Those Airlines seem rare, are pretty iconic, and they look really nice, so even broken it might be worth a pretty penny!

piaptk

Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:14 pm

timefraud wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:49 am
piaptk wrote:Yeah. He rewound a couple heads for me years ago, grounded the coils to the case or something so it smoked immediately after sending any audio through it (he only tests it by using it as a playback pickup, and doesnt run audio at all). I sent them back and he ignored my emails and calls for a year and eventually sent the dead heads back (WITHOUT THE MONEY I HAD ALREADY PAID HIM) and said “i dont have time for this, send them to Len.

When he started taking repairs again, i gave him the chance to make it good and he just ignored me.

Heard back from him, no apology, just said "Put it in a vice and you can use a electric hand drill to drill it out. I use the Epoxy in Red and black tubes. Do not separate the two halves or it will rupture the crystal. Gib"

Well after 2 hours spent dremelling and drilling it out cafrefully the head appears to work, my cuts are soooo noisey though. like I don't expect anything beautiful sounding and am pretty used to extremely lofi recordings but there a constant shhhhhhhh sound at all times. I understand that these things sound rough but this seems excessive. If anyone has any tips I'd love to know. I'm cutting plates with steal needles, taping em down and trying turtle wax. The music is audible but the hiss is so loud I can't imagine even noise kids listening to it.

A noisy cut is not a cutter head problem, it is a blank and stylys problem. You arw using the wrong combination, have a dead stylus (steel needles are dogshit even in good shape), or not set up correctly.

Read my newbie starter guide here to make sure you are using the right blanks and needles
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com