What the heck is "Permium"

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

timinbovey

What the heck is "Permium"

Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:40 pm

Among my other money wasting habits is collecting NOS cutting stylus. Just added a Fidelitone stylus to the collection. Says it's made of "Permium" metal.

Anyone know what Permium is? NOT "premium" but "Permium" Package states "The special Permium tip will record approximately 500 six-inch good quality discs".
There is a footnote indicating that Permium is indeed patented.

It's a "Fidelitone De Luxe Recording Stylus" Manufactured by Permo Incorporated.

"conforming to professional specifications having an 87° included angle and .002 inch radius and a clearance angle of approximately 45°." "A professional stylus for home recording".

I'll never try using it -- it will go in my drawer of cutting needles. But "Permium"? Internet searches aren't helping.

Tim in Bovey

piaptk

Re: What the heck is "Permium"

Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:50 am

Is it a shiny silver stellite tip? I wonder if that was just some weird marketing name for stellite? Permium by Permo corp
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

Aussie0zborn

Re: What the heck is "Permium"

Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:01 am

piaptk wrote:Is it a shiny silver stellite tip? I wonder if that was just some weird marketing name for stellite? Permium by Permo corp
Sounds about right.