A New Source for Blank Records

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Thelurker

Re: A New Source for Blank Records

Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:12 pm

Not sure why some people are so negative here, another supplier for lathe cutting consumables in this niche market some be welcomed and they’re giving out “free samples” ffs!

SONARC

Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:19 pm

It dosn't seem as though there is anything to be lost by giving this a chance; so unless there's a reason to criticize, why?
I don't see anything sneaky or under-handed going on here, and the free sample pack is a nice gesture.
I'm in for the free sample pack as well, and that should give me a good chance to compare A/B results with other poly blanks.

@ Jccc : That's encouraging to hear you didn't need to do any tweaking for the grooves; did you notice any significant differences in the quality of the audio?
Jccc wrote:So my tester pack arrived yesterday and I had some time to do a test emboss with the 1mm 7". it seemed to work really well!

I am using the tungsten needles found on Ebay mounted inside a Fairchild cutting head and it seems to work really well. I currently have it dialed in for embossing on Polycarbonate and I did not even have to do any adjustments to get it to work with this material.

I did noticed the center hole on the 1mm blank was a little too big causing each test cut to be a little off center when played back on a record player. I am hoping the other 1mm blanks will not have this issue. But on the 2mm blank it was perfect.

Jccc

Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:50 am

SONARC wrote:It dosn't seem as though there is anything to be lost by giving this a chance; so unless there's a reason to criticize, why?
I don't see anything sneaky or under-handed going on here, and the free sample pack is a nice gesture.
I'm in for the free sample pack as well, and that should give me a good chance to compare A/B results with other poly blanks.

@ Jccc : That's encouraging to hear you didn't need to do any tweaking for the grooves; did you notice any significant differences in the quality of the audio?
Jccc wrote:So my tester pack arrived yesterday and I had some time to do a test emboss with the 1mm 7". it seemed to work really well!

I am using the tungsten needles found on Ebay mounted inside a Fairchild cutting head and it seems to work really well. I currently have it dialed in for embossing on Polycarbonate and I did not even have to do any adjustments to get it to work with this material.

I did noticed the center hole on the 1mm blank was a little too big causing each test cut to be a little off center when played back on a record player. I am hoping the other 1mm blanks will not have this issue. But on the 2mm blank it was perfect.

i did notice some difference in the audio with embossing on this material compared to the Polycarbonate plastic i get from the local place in my city.

The sound i got from embossing with this material was a bit lofi with the highs not as clear as when i emboss with polycarbonate.

The blanks feel like the same material Myshank sells.

I think these would work well for diamond cutting as they seem really soft.

aaron

Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:28 am

One question I have is, is this off-the-shelf PETG or a different formulation/grade?

BLANQ

Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:20 pm

aaron wrote:One question I have is, is this off-the-shelf PETG or a different formulation/grade?
It's specialized/specific stuff.
-BLANQ
http://www.blanqrecords.com

If you're here, you need blank records. We can help.

missedout

Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:46 am

as someone getting into embossing in the USA, this is a great resource and just ordered the free sampler. Waiting on my cutterhead to be repaired but once that and the test pack arrive I will post my results. Honestly the only options are coming from overseas and this is a much needed resource for Americans.

thank you for providing this service! <3

soeffingodly

Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:07 am

Got my blanks in the mail yesterday. Haven't had time to think about cutting anything but once I do I will post my feedback. I'll be testing these with the sapphire embossing cones from piaptk.
"I wasn't lying. Things I said later seemed untrue."

BLANQ

Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:28 am

soeffingodly wrote:Got my blanks in the mail yesterday. Haven't had time to think about cutting anything but once I do I will post my feedback. I'll be testing these with the sapphire embossing cones from piaptk.
Wonderful, I think you'll be really pleased. We use Mike's sapphires on Blanqs at Leesta Vall as well.
-BLANQ

aaron

Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:43 am

Anyone tried cutting with diamonds yet?

David34

Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:04 am

Thanks I have just ordered to try with T560.. I'll leave comments once cut!

fredbissnette

Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:37 pm

ill try it out

if it works well i could be interested in ordering in bulk
do you offer discounts on orders over 1000?
Instagram @styluspressurerecords

David34

Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:50 am

Haven't received anything ?

BLANQ

Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:56 am

David34 wrote:Haven't received anything ?
Hey David, do you mean that you placed an order you haven’t received? If so, can you please email hello@blanqrecords.com so that we can help you? All orders from folks named David show on our side as delivered, but please be in touch via email so that I can look up your specific order to track it down.

Thanks,
-BLANQ

David34

Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:18 am

Email sent!

fredbissnette

Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:42 pm

Havent gotten mine yet but looking forward to trying this out

Gus

Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:27 am

Yesterday, i've received the free samples from Blanq. Embossed with sapphire needle @ 45rpm & 161 lpi. I think that blank is a bit noiser than poly but more soft which gives perfect trackability and rich low frequencies. Zippo fluid as always with no heat.
Here is a quick and dirty testing

fredbissnette

Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:22 pm

that sounds great if i ever get mine in the mail ill be happy to try these out

BLANQ

Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:28 pm

fredbissnette wrote:that sounds great if i ever get mine in the mail ill be happy to try these out
Hey Fred, your tracking shows yours are still in route. Sometimes the USPS gets hung up crossing the boarder, but you have your tester pack any second.
-BLANQ

boryo

Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:07 am

Gus wrote:Yesterday, i've received the free samples from Blanq. Embossed with sapphire needle @ 45rpm & 161 lpi. I think that blank is a bit noiser than poly but more soft which gives perfect trackability and rich low frequencies. Zippo fluid as always with no heat.
Gus, that's some bad ass funky groove! What's the artist? I want to have this! Thanks! :)

Gus

Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:42 pm

boryo wrote:
Gus wrote:Yesterday, i've received the free samples from Blanq. Embossed with sapphire needle @ 45rpm & 161 lpi. I think that blank is a bit noiser than poly but more soft which gives perfect trackability and rich low frequencies. Zippo fluid as always with no heat.
Gus, that's some bad ass funky groove! What's the artist? I want to have this! Thanks! :)
Hey boryo!
Here is the edit
And here's the original track
https://www.discogs.com/%CE%97%CF%81%CE%B1%CE%BA%CE%BB%CE%AE%CF%82-%CE%9B%CE%B5%CF%81%CE%BD%CE%B1%CE%AF%CE%B1-%CE%8E%CE%B4%CF%81%CE%B1-%CE%97-%CE%A3%CF%84%CE%B9%CE%B3%CE%BC%CE%AE/master/668769