New: Phonocut Desktop Disc Cutter

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

tragwag

Re: New: Phonocut Desktop Disc Cutter

Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:52 am

I'll just say I'm glad I bought in early, I want to say I paid 1,800 eur?
it's a no brainer for folks like me to stay in. like you all said, I trust the team and it makes sense that upscaling the manufacture presented some unknown hurdles.
I would definitely debate whether to buy this type of machine at the 8,000-10,000 price range though
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

Shamax

Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:01 am

Agreed. At that price point, I'd much rather go the Souri route or buy a refurb Presto from a professional. Granted, those options aren't as "plug and play" as Phonocut aims to be, but that's a pretty pricey trade-off.

2bitcomputer

Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:32 pm

Also, don't forget that (the last time I checked) it won't cut a 12" record.
10" is as big as gets for the Phonocut
Maybe the increased cost is also to allow for 12inchers?
Anyways...
I also got in early and will wait it out.
:|

13yo

Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:48 pm

is this still not available? who's runnin that place, Elizabeth Holmes?

_m

msartori

Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:59 pm

13yo wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:48 pm
is this still not available? who's runnin that place, Elizabeth Holmes?

_m
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Discomo

Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:42 pm

I’m amazed so many people pay upfront for a machine which doesn’t even exist yet. And now waiting for 2+ years. For the same money you can get a couple of Souri’s. Anyway, wish you people all the luck. Hope it will go well for you.

Shamax

Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:58 pm

Discomo wrote:
I’m amazed so many people pay upfront for a machine which doesn’t even exist yet. And now waiting for 2+ years. For the same money you can get a couple of Souri’s. Anyway, wish you people all the luck. Hope it will go well for you.
I'm amazed that you apparently know where someone can purchase multiple Souri-lathes for less than 1,000 EUR (the initial investor price)? Pray tell!

Discomo

Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:55 pm

Shamax wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:58 pm
Discomo wrote:
I'm amazed that you apparently know where someone can purchase multiple Souri-lathes for less than 1,000 EUR (the initial investor price)? Pray tell!
Hey, it’s your money!

rsimms3

Sat Aug 12, 2023 10:49 pm

Is this still coming out this year?

Ooops, wrong year. Last update was expected delivery end of 2024.

displacedsnail

Sun Aug 13, 2023 5:32 pm

I threw my hat in the ring for one of these, but ended up opting for a refund to front a record release. A bird in the hand, etc. etc. I was in Vienna for a book fair and many of the artists I met didn't have good things to say about the founders. But that's all hearsay! I'd be tickled if this became a reality that can (hopefully) stick to its price point on blanks, a little too expensive to run a business using it but it'd be great for personal use.

Bertoolius

Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:35 am

My 2 cents about Phonocut.

I don't understand the lack of communication. I don't think that the messages they posted are enough. Respect your customers. share you problems, challenges and mistakes. involve us in the product's story. that's what crowdfunding is about. the customers are investors, they deserve more than dropping a shy we're sorry every year with little details.

I got a BIG problem with anyone trying to close source DIY activities, materials and equipment. We're not fools. everybody knows how blanks are made. there's no secret recipe. so instead of trying to maximise your profit with expensive consumables, just open the product as much as possible to allow users to repair upgrade and use whatever they want to cut records.

The mistakes and choices show how some of the founders are disconnected from the reality. I feel for Flo who seems to be carrying a lot of the work on his own if only alone.

One thing that I'm looking forward to discover is the partnership with Ortophon. I can imagine a possible cutting head which could lead to Ortophon reactivating its cutting heads portfolio or creating a new one. But please Ortophon do it on your own not with Phonocut.