Cutting stylus suppliers? Diamond usable with Master Lacquer?

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

EpicenterBryan

Cutting stylus suppliers? Diamond usable with Master Lacquer?

Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:41 pm

In light of the fire at Apollo/Transco I'm starting to worry out about where to buy a stylus. As we know, they produced and sold styli at near cost partly to support sales of discs.

I've never played with diamond / plastic - Only sapphire and master lacquer. I am only an experimenter and hobby guy. I've used Presto long shank, Fairchild short shank, Neumann 320. What worries me the most is the 329 for an Ortofon 661 stereo cutting head. I have exactly ONE stylus that Sam had made for me , and I have two heads. This styli is Naked shank, and Collet secured. I have not seen a diamond version offered anywhere. I've never even installed it or cut with one of those 661 heads yet. Imagine that.

Now what?

I have a supply of NOS Presto, Audiodiscs, Apollo, Transco, CBS and such discs ( I'm fine with using them for tests), so I'm covered for screwing around. But now I'm worried what to do when I'm ready to pony up for a fresh stylus (even with an OLD blank for testing).

Can a Diamond stylus be used for cutting an acetate? If so, why aren't all you guys using them?

Thoughts?

Bryan

handcut

Re: Cutting stylus suppliers? Diamond usable with Master Lacquer?

Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:02 am

MyShank has successfully made and proven a diamond stylus that works on lacquer, so maybe contact them? Only 320 shank though, I believe...

Greg Reierson

Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:47 pm

If anyone can get a call back from this guy please let me know. I've been trying for over a year.
Greg Reierson
http://www.RareFormMastering.com
VMS70 :: SAL74B :: SX74

The Shank

Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:57 pm

Hi ๐Ÿ˜…
http://www.myshank.com

* Diamond cutting stylus officials/prototypes
* Resharpening services
* Blank records
* Cutting lathe

Greg Reierson

Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:58 pm

Hi!!! I'd love to try one of your cutting styli! Gimme a call.

Thanks!
Greg Reierson
http://www.RareFormMastering.com
VMS70 :: SAL74B :: SX74

The Shank

Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:00 am

Send me an email, Iโ€™m in LA from tomorrow for about 12 days
http://www.myshank.com

* Diamond cutting stylus officials/prototypes
* Resharpening services
* Blank records
* Cutting lathe

Soulbear

Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:23 pm

handcut wrote: โ†‘
Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:02 am
MyShank has successfully made and proven a diamond stylus that works on lacquer, so maybe contact them? Only 320 shank though, I believe...
Hi Trolls,
I know this Thread has been quiet for some time BUT!!!

Is there a definitive answer to the original Posters Question??? IE "Diamond usable with Master Lacquer?" Am I wrong in assuming that since a Lacquer is comparatively speaking, as Soft as "Cow Shit" and a Diamond Stylus may be good for up to a few hundred hours of cutting the much harder Polycarbonate Blanks that it is OK to cut Lacquers with a Diamond???

Or did I miss something??

Strange as it might seem, I remember back in the day, that Rubber "Bearing Grease Seals" would, over a prolonged period, gouge grooves into the hard metal of Motor and Gearbox Shafts. That appears to be counter-intuitive, you would probably expect the softer Rubber of the Seal to Wear down first, so maybe my assumption about Lacquers and Diamonds is wrong??? I have quite a few NOS 12" and 7" Lacquers that I would really like to use so.........!!
It would be really good to know for sure, any Trolls got the answer???
Regards Soulbear :P :) :D

tragwag

Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:17 am

just give it a try! I cut some grooves with diamond on some lacquers I had, sounded great with no additional setup
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

Soulbear

Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:23 am

Soulbear wrote: โ†‘
Is there a definitive answer to the original Posters Question??? IE "Diamond usable with Master Lacquer?"
It would be really good to know for sure, any Trolls got the answer???
tragwag wrote: โ†‘
Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:17 am
just give it a try! I cut some grooves with diamond on some lacquers I had, sounded great with no additional setup
Thanks for the input Tyler, very much appreciated :wink: :wink: :wink:

discosdecorte

Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:07 pm

Am I wrong in assuming that since a Lacquer is comparatively speaking, as Soft as "Cow Shit" and a Diamond Stylus may be good for up to a few hundred hours of cutting the much harder Polycarbonate Blanks that it is OK to cut Lacquers with a Diamond???

Good question. I've cut some thin (700 micron) polypropilene sheets in the past with a diamond stylus and a fellow troll advised me to not do this as I could worn out the stylus, so... Maybe it is not only a softness/hardness thing (???)

In fact, I've recently received a large acetate sheet (700 micron again) from a friend of mine. I've cut a square, made a center hole and recorded a sample with my Hara and a diamond stylus from MyShank. It sounds very good, but I haven't tried again because I am not sure about the acetate/diamond compatibility. All ideas/advices/opinions are welcome :)

Best regards,
Fer
๐Ÿ„ณ๐Ÿ„ธ๐Ÿ…‚๐Ÿ„ฒ๐Ÿ„พ๐Ÿ…‚ ๐Ÿ„ณ๐Ÿ„ด ๐Ÿ„ฒ๐Ÿ„พ๐Ÿ…๐Ÿ…ƒ๐Ÿ„ด
www.instagram.com/decortediscos

Phinster

Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:38 pm

a diamond stylus for lacquers...does it have burnishing facets? Is it heated? It would be nice to know...

discosdecorte

Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:25 pm

Phinster wrote: โ†‘
Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:38 pm
a diamond stylus for lacquers...does it have burnishing facets? Is it heated? It would be nice to know...
Hi!

I think you'll find this interesting: https://www.lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?p=52354#p52354

Best regards,
Fer
๐Ÿ„ณ๐Ÿ„ธ๐Ÿ…‚๐Ÿ„ฒ๐Ÿ„พ๐Ÿ…‚ ๐Ÿ„ณ๐Ÿ„ด ๐Ÿ„ฒ๐Ÿ„พ๐Ÿ…๐Ÿ…ƒ๐Ÿ„ด
www.instagram.com/decortediscos

Soulbear

Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:45 pm

Soulbear wrote :-
Is there a definitive answer to the original Posters Question??? IE "Diamond usable with Master Lacquer?" Am I wrong in assuming that since a Lacquer is comparatively speaking, as Soft as "Cow Shit" and a Diamond Stylus may be good for up to a few hundred hours of cutting the much harder Polycarbonate Blanks that it is OK to cut Lacquers with a Diamond???

Thanks for the Link Fer :wink: :wink: :wink:

Apparently so!! :oops: :oops: So "Static Charge" appears to be the main impediment when using a Diamond Stylus, not the Hardness of the Medium to be Cut. One step forwards, two steps back!! :cry: :cry: So now all I need to do if ever I am to cut these Lacquers, is to "Track Me Down" some Sapphires!! Ah well, onwards and upwards. :? :? :?