Looking for a good lathe

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Nestor

Looking for a good lathe

Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:08 am

[nestor][/nestor]

Hello everybody,
I am a passionate record collector and like to cut dubs and acetates. One of my goals is to develop my own lacquer (areal challenge), which I will happily discuss (early stage).
I have a Vestax, but not really happy with it. So I am looking for a better alternative (high-amateur/semi pro level).
Souri’s T560 seems a great option, but not sure he is still active?
Any advice welcome :)

PS: this is my first post in this great forum, thank you all admins !

Surgerecordings

Re: Looking for a good lathe

Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:47 pm

Hi, I am thinking of getting this lathe to.Contacted them a few days ago and haven't heard anything back at the moment.

Discomo

Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:56 pm

Excellent lathe for semi pro or even pro 'under certain conditions'.

Souri is definitely still active. But it may take some time before he's contacting you.

obsolete777

Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:38 pm

I am looking at purchasing Souri's lathe as well- Does he still make you come to Germany or does he now have an American rep?

Soulbear

Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:36 pm

obsolete777 wrote:
I am looking at purchasing Souri's lathe as well- Does he still make you come to Germany or does he now have an American rep?
Hi There surgerecordings and obsolete777, Heaven Forfend, I don't want to pour water on the fire of your record cutting aspirations, and it's not like I'm a cynic or anything like one!! 8) 8)

Without being critical, but to be more than a little bit honest and frank with you, I was invited by Herr Sourisseau to join his waiting list to purchase one of his wonderful lathes back in November 2014. Six years further down the line, I'm still waiting!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

A good alternative in the interim, might be for you to consider reading the various posts here on the forum about making a lathe and cutterhead, or restoration of an older Lathe and if Stereo is a must-have, modifying the same with something like Grooveguy's "Stereo Cutterhead You can Build"

Alternatively, for a ready to use straight out of the box Cutterhead, the way to go might be the Caruso or Nightingale Cutterheads :idea: :idea:
Just a thought :P :) :D Soulbear

obsolete777

Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:37 pm

Hi Soulbear,
I appreciate your honesty and advice. I'll look into the other options you mention. Part of my consideration is, I don't mind spending years learning to be a good cutter, but I don't want to spend years putting together a lathe. ;)
But i realize things are what they are...

piaptk

Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:11 am

I sell restored vintage mono machines through www.RecordLatheParts.com. All machines I sell are ready to roll, include a starter pack of embossing blanks and needles and full tech support to get you rolling. I currently have a Presto 6N, Rek-O-Kut, and Presto 75a available. Contact me though the site for pricing.

They are not stereo, but several stereo heads are en route or available to the market at the moment from Flo, MyShank, Sillitoe, etc.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

Soulbear

Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:10 am

My Bad!! Ooops! Forgot to mention Mr Dixon!! Shoulda been first suggestion, I'll go and sit on the naughty step :oops:

piaptk

Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:53 pm

Haha. No worries. I appreciate all help always, but ive never been accused of being a poor self-promoter. You can get off the naughty step. 🤪
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.LatheCuts.com

soeffingodly

Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:32 am

obsolete777 wrote:
You still must travel to Germany and train on the unit. I just purchased a T560 from him in November of 2019 so he is definitely still active. Great machine. Souri is a great guy (he and I got along great) just very particular at how he runs his business.

I will also give a big +1 to Mike. I started embossing using a Presto K-8, moved up to a 6N (thanks to Mike and his lathe camp), and finally graduated to cutting with diamonds on my T560. Mike can show you how to cut some dam fine records on a mono lathe that is for sure. Had I not gotten the opportunity to purchase a VR I would most likely still have my Presto 6N I got from Mike.

Good luck!

-S
"I wasn't lying. Things I said later seemed untrue."

obsolete777

Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:50 pm

piaptk wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:11 am
I sell restored vintage mono machines through www.RecordlLatheParts.com. All machines I sell are ready to roll, include a starter pack of embossing blanks and needles and full tech support to get you rolling. I currently have a Presto 6N, Rek-O-Kut, and Presto 75a available. Contact me though the site for pricing.

They are not stereo, but several stereo heads are en route or available to the market at the moment from Flo, MyShank, Sillitoe, etc.
I tried your web site right now but it is not connecting. I am interested in a lathe if it can use a stereo cutter head.

piaptk

Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:08 am

Oops. There was a type in the address. Www.RecordLatheParts.com

Your best bet is a Presto 6n. It will require a little bit of doing to mount a stereo head, but it has been done.
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.LatheCuts.com

Soulbear

Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:13 am

obsolete777, I think Mike's proposal/recommendation of a Presto 6N is a Great Suggestion. I know which way I'd go

obsolete777

Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:29 am

Soulbear wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:13 am
obsolete777, I think Mike's proposal/recommendation of a Presto 6N is a Great Suggestion. I know which way I'd go
If, as Mike says, it can be fitted with a stereo cutter, I would certainly consider this option. What is a reasonable price to pay for a working unit?

NickGrooves

Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:07 pm

Soulbear wrote:
My Bad!! Ooops! Forgot to mention Mr Dixon!! Shoulda been first suggestion, I'll go and sit on the naughty step :oops:
Well I just emailed him after browsing one of his websites, and then emailed him again after browsing one of his other websites, not realizing until now that it's the same dude. So I think I've made up for your shortcomings. :)

piaptk

Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:10 am

NickGrooves wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:07 pm
Soulbear wrote:
Well I just emailed him after browsing one of his websites, and then emailed him again after browsing one of his other websites, not realizing until now that it's the same dude. So I think I've made up for your shortcomings. :)
I've got a few sites. haha :-)
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.LatheCuts.com

NickGrooves

Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:20 am

And they're great! Doing their job, I'd say. Well done man. :)