VR suction problem

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Discomo

Re: VR suction problem

Fri May 08, 2020 5:03 pm

Ibai wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 4:50 pm
Thanks Discomo! I will start marking positions of course.

Yes, have been reading the other topic, cause these days I have had the same problem especially on last minutes of side B of blanks...And now I've despaired trying to fix it.

Thanks again, and have a good night.
Well, I def recognize your worries here. Everytime I encounter a problem sweat breaks out. Not a nice feeling! Cutting is nice when it goes well, but the VR is a bit fragile. I’m certain your problem is solved in the end though. What kind of antistatic fluid do you use?

Ibai

Sat May 09, 2020 1:23 am

Good morning Discomo,

That’s it. I bought the machine two years ago, but I can say that I don’t start cutting till last year, first month/year was so frustating...and I have never had not solving critical problems till these days.

I use MyShank’s antistactic wax.

Discomo

Sat May 09, 2020 4:13 am

IMG_E1321.jpg
My own start with cutting was also pretty frustrating. But after this frustration, glory awaits! ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ibai

Sat May 09, 2020 4:53 am

Discomo wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 4:13 am
IMG_E1321.jpg

My own start with cutting was also pretty frustrating. But after this frustration, glory awaits! ;)
So as I see the head is totally up in that guide...will try it.

Thanks Discomo again for your help.

Vinylfan

Thu May 14, 2020 4:06 pm

Sorry to come back to the angle of the stylus.
Attached a photo from the head of my VR. The cutting angle is approx. 20 degrees away from perpendicular (0°) when the head is in a horizontal position (parallel to the blank).
The head parallel to the blank is my normal setup and cutting results are quite good in my subjective sense.

Thanks to the valuable advice of member Discomo I have learned that the stylus angle should be perpendicular.
To me the construction of "my" head looks similar to the one of member Ibai's machine.
However, I doubt that I could align the head in such a way that a perpendicular angle is achieved. Are there any VR owners where the stylus holder is soldered on at a different angle?

Thank you.

Stylus angle.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Discomo

Thu May 14, 2020 4:43 pm

Vinylfan wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 4:06 pm
Sorry to come back to the angle of the stylus.
Attached a photo from the head of my VR. The cutting angle is approx. 20 degrees away from perpendicular (0°) when the head is in a horizontal position (parallel to the blank).
The head parallel to the blank is my normal setup and cutting results are quite good in my subjective sense.

Thanks to the valuable advice of member Discomo I have learned that the stylus angle should be perpendicular.
To me the construction of "my" head looks similar to the one of member Ibai's machine.
However, I doubt that I could align the head in such a way that a perpendicular angle is achieved. Are there any VR owners where the stylus holder is soldered on at a different angle?

Thank you.

Stylus angle.jpg
I think there's a bit of a misunderstanding- When I mentioned the 0 degrees position it's because this is according to the VR website, the ultimate cutting-position apparently. I myself cut as well with the head almost parallel to the blank, simply with good results (think it's closer to 10 degrees though).
However, the picture of member Ibai looked way more off than the 20 degrees mentioned, that's why I said maybe the head needed correction. In fact I don't believe this position of the cuttinghead will have a great impact on swarf, unless maybe when it's really off. Or in combination with other bad adjustments. But these really are just assumptions. I would first look at all the suggestions others made in this topic and then look at other possibilities.

Vinylfan

Fri May 15, 2020 1:38 pm

Ok, thank you Discomo, for clarification.
In fact, it was the first time, that I saw on the VR website that an angle of 0 degrees ist recommended to be best.
I had a look at my handwritten notes from the training in late 2018: the angle shall be approx. 10 degrees.
I fully agree that the cutting angle Of the stylus is most probanly not the main reason for the mentioned suction problem.

soeffingodly

Fri May 15, 2020 2:53 pm

Vinylfan wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 1:38 pm
Ok, thank you Discomo, for clarification.
In fact, it was the first time, that I saw on the VR website that an angle of 0 degrees ist recommended to be best.
I had a look at my handwritten notes from the training in late 2018: the angle shall be approx. 10 degrees.
I fully agree that the cutting angle Of the stylus is most probanly not the main reason for the mentioned suction problem.
My notes say 15-16 degrees from when I went in November of last year. Shrugs
"I wasn't lying. Things I said later seemed untrue."

Ibai

Sat May 16, 2020 5:38 am

I have been trying to get that 0 degrees and have been impossible... if I get the head higher I can´t calibrate weights correctly.

Good thing is that I have solved suction issue, by the moment. I have found same hose in the store and I have changed and cleaned all again. If someone needs some hose feel free to ask, I have near 15 meters...

Now I have the so noisy cuts, even if the suction is OK. I attached a cut (38 degree blank, new stylus)

Vinylfan

Sat May 16, 2020 8:07 am

What you hear is either the groove speed motor (search this forum for the solution(s)) or the suction and a 'rhythmic' noise synchrone to turntable (33 rpm).

PMST

Sun May 17, 2020 12:51 pm

Listening to that recording, one of the sounds is exactly like the groove pitch motor, as Vinylfan said search on here, David34 made a thread about it, well worth separating the motor, it's a really simple fix

PMST

Sun May 17, 2020 12:56 pm

In case it's any help, this is the thread, and attached is an image with the part circled, this is where the power is piggy backed (RIAA off from the groove motor)

https://www.lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6826&hilit=groove+motor+noise&start=40

PMST

Sun May 17, 2020 12:57 pm

If you have already done this, then please ignore, i thought i would post it just in case!

Discomo

Mon May 18, 2020 1:32 am

PMST wrote:
In case it's any help, this is the thread, and attached is an image with the part circled, this is where the power is piggy backed (RIAA off from the groove motor)

https://www.lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6826&hilit=groove+motor+noise&start=40
Thanks! It can’t be mentioned enough and it would be a good ‘sticky’ for the VR.

I just looked at the suggested extra psu (CODEGEN 400W ATX 2.03 MODEL: 400X) but saw it nowhere for sale. I’ve informed at a store for a good replacement. Did you do this mod? Or are you planning to?

Ibai

Mon May 18, 2020 2:17 am

Good morning all,

Again so much appreciated for all your tips and help.

I’m going to buy today a power supply to make that mod. Will notice you when it’s done.

Thanks again and take care all of you!

Discomo

Mon May 18, 2020 2:43 am

PMST wrote:

Btw, you have a great studio! Looks a lot like my own. Same floor, mess on the floor, etc. lol :lol:

I have a noob question- Do you drill an extra hole in the backplate to get the extra psu wires through? Or can it go through the same hole as the other psu wires? Perhaps there's again a risk of hum when the wires go through the same hole?

PMST

Mon May 18, 2020 11:27 am

I would drill another hole and get a rubber plug for the wire, although you could just use electrical tape I think.........

I just got a pretty standard PSU from the internet, cost £5 I think, has worked great for over a year so far! Will try to find the link.

Also I should add, that picture was borrowed from someone in here (I hope that's ok!), its one I used for reference, but yes, my studio floor can also be pretty chaotic at the best of times!

Discomo

Mon May 18, 2020 12:42 pm

PMST wrote:
I would drill another hole and get a rubber plug for the wire, although you could just use electrical tape I think.........

I just got a pretty standard PSU from the internet, cost £5 I think, has worked great for over a year so far! Will try to find the link.
That will be great! Curious about your psu.
PMST wrote:
Also I should add, that picture was borrowed from someone in here (I hope that's ok!), its one I used for reference, but yes, my studio floor can also be pretty chaotic at the best of times!
I know, that person was me, lol. But it's totally fine. I looked at the picture and thought, what are those numbers doing there, looks like my handwriting. Then I saw it was my own room, lol.

PMST

Tue May 19, 2020 12:31 am

Ah haha! Well, thanks! It was extremely useful!

I used this for my PSU (link below), chopped the wires and chop blocked them together.... I've had no issues so far in over a year. Also i posted the other day in here about Noise ID, a very weird sound that was kinda like when you get plastic stuck to the stylus, however the stylus was clean, after upgrading the cutter amp the noise went, so that's something to think about in my opinion, since upgrading the amp suddenly the cuts are extremely quiet. Whether it's just co-incidence or not, who knows, but i have seen a big improvement!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/100-240V-Regulated-Switching-Amplifier-Accessories/dp/B01G9YS4NU/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=joylit+ac+100-240v+to+dc+12+5a+switching+power+supply+uk&qid=1589862473&sr=8-1

PMST

Tue May 19, 2020 12:33 am

Although now i don't actually use the main unit for EQ, i found it's curves always had a dip around 5khz that i couldn't get flat, so now do all my IRIAA in the box first, then send direct to the cutter amp. I still use the main unit for heating and pitch though.