Recording lathe in a hotel | Vienna

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

boryo

Recording lathe in a hotel | Vienna

Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:21 pm

Hello Trolls,

Here is something interesting that happened me recently (just before COVID).
My girlfriend was send on a business trip to Vienna and as usual, I was waiting to call me after she arrives there. She called me very excited and asked "Do you know what's here on the reception?". Me, of course, I had no idea what she's talking about and a couple of failures to guess I gave up. Then she told me "there is recording machine here". Me, of course, I was a little bit shocked, because she is around me in the past two years since I'm trying to start cutting records and now officially she has seen more lathes than me :D

Another interesting thing is the name - Phonocut.
Is it there any relation between the portable Phonocut and this one, I think only one man in this forum can tell.

Short YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mfXHXKQqn4

IMG_0990.JPG
IMG_0989.JPG
IMG_0988.JPG
IMG_0987.JPG
IMG_0977.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ta2ando

Re: Recording lathe in a hotel | Vienna

Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:47 pm

Interesting... Seems like that's the newer version of Phonebooth lathe which Thirdman has. I know Doc (one of the guys behind that Portable Phonocut Project) lives in Vienna, so it's pretty much possible that they are related.

dubcutter89

Re: Recording lathe in a hotel | Vienna

Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:21 am

Cool machine! Also the pizza in the restaurant is very nice :-)
Wanted: ANYTHING ORTOFON related to cutting...thx