My Shank Nightingale Feedback head reviews?

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

karl hungus

My Shank Nightingale Feedback head reviews?

Sun May 03, 2020 5:00 pm

Hello

I apologize if this topic exists, but I was unable to find it.
I am a new member, but long time lurker. My VR has been underused but I’m getting back into cutting.

Has anyone tried the new My Shank Nightingale feedback cutter head?
It’s a substantially pricier option than Souri’s, but I’m having difficulty reaching Souri to upgrade.
Also, it requires full payment to be waitlisted and I was wondering if this would be considered an acceptable risk with this vender? 3-4K euro upfront is a decent chunk of change.

I’m still relatively new to cutting and have only dealt with Souri so far. I have the opportunity to start cutting for a label later this year, and would like to upgrade my basic T560 to a professional output.

Relatedly, should I stop trying to get blanks and styli from Souri and just go with My Shank? Just curious about what others are doing.

Many thanks for your time!

Discomo

Re: My Shank Nightingale Feedback head reviews?

Mon May 04, 2020 4:12 am

If you say you don't have a lot of experience with cutting I would say, build up experience first.
Cutting is only learned from making a lot of errors, learning how to get the best results from the VR, what you can do with the VR and what you should avoid.
I would refrain from spending money on 'better' parts because the machine is as good as the person who operates it. I'm working now almost three years with the VR on a daily basis (for my own label and releasing work of professional artists who are in the music-business for 30-50 years), with very good results and with no complaints. The only downside on the VR, I find, is that it doesn't leave much room for error. One small mistake can have huge consequences in the worst case, or ruin your stylus in a less worse case. It has it's weak spots, like the din-connectors which are a bit flimsy in my book. But when you exchange some parts for better parts, you should be able to get the best results. But it especially takes many hours of work before you get a steady line of good results. If you're not ready to invest your time in this, it's gonna be difficult.

karl hungus

Mon May 04, 2020 4:50 pm

Thank you for your kind reply Discomo. It’s great to hear you’ve gotten good results with a stock system.
And I will certainly be taking your advice and others’ about the thousand blank learning curve. I’ll likely order a few hundred blanks and a stylus now from Steven as learning material, assuming I haven’t put him off with my questions already.
The main reason for my question is that his waitlist is understandably long and I know this is an upgrade I’ll likely make at some point.

Are you using an upgraded motor for yours?

Cheers

piaptk

Fri May 08, 2020 9:15 pm

I havent heard his head yet (would like to soon), but i will say that If you pay Steven for something, you will get it. He has a long track record of sales and innovation, and as far as i know, nobody has ever accused him of taking their money and not fulfilling the product. And the products that I have bought from him have all been top notch.

Good luck! If you buy one, please tell us about it!
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

emidisc

Sat May 09, 2020 4:17 am

I agree totally with the previous comment, I have always had top quality service from MyShank

handcut

Mon May 11, 2020 2:52 pm

+1 for the MyShank love-in. Solid, reliable service run by nice humans. Great products. Saved me when Mr Sourisseau ghosted me! If I was thinking about a new stereo cutterhead right now, it would be top of the list - wait or no.

emidisc

Mon May 11, 2020 6:12 pm

4AB7B8B5-8BB2-48BC-A847-EA776E8D915C.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vice Fiori

Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:54 pm

Sorry de delay, i never post anything here.
Yeah, if you never buy any from Shank, you can trust him, totally professional penson with great products, never have problem with him so far.
I have a sound sample from him, the original source and the wav/mp3 version of the vinyl cut, with same volume to compare by ear or in graphics.
I made a link to download it and see by yourself, so you and other can hear the results better. Hope Mr. Shank dont wanna kill me because of this.
OBS: Mono centered in 300hz while record, lathe used: Vinyl recorder and a 1200mkII:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Nry4aAM-jMHi39KdWzemaRXru4I4XKN-?usp=sharing

msartori

Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:56 pm

The Bass is better then the original Mp3 :shock:

ObiKutnobi

Wed May 12, 2021 9:59 am

Vice Fiori wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:54 pm
Sorry de delay, i never post anything here.
Yeah, if you never buy any from Shank, you can trust him, totally professional penson with great products, never have problem with him so far.
I have a sound sample from him, the original source and the wav/mp3 version of the vinyl cut, with same volume to compare by ear or in graphics.
I made a link to download it and see by yourself, so you and other can hear the results better. Hope Mr. Shank dont wanna kill me because of this.
OBS: Mono centered in 300hz while record, lathe used: Vinyl recorder and a 1200mkII:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Nry4aAM-jMHi39KdWzemaRXru4I4XKN-?usp=sharing
Wow, thanks for posting the sound files. What loudness was the cut? 0dB? +4dB etc?

Thanks

Vice Fiori

Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:16 am

[/quote]

Wow, thanks for posting the sound files. What loudness was the cut? 0dB? +4dB etc?

Thanks
[/quote]

If I remember something between +14db (peak) it´s something about +3, +4db (rms) BUT, its doing improvements as I know, so maybe still this volume or more. If you want a better questions about, try ask mr shank, he´ll like to know