Vinyl Recorder T560 Overhead Motor

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

handcut

Vinyl Recorder T560 Overhead Motor

Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:04 am

Hi All,

Well, after a complete f'ing rollercoaster of a year (so far) the motor on my VR has just died. Fortunately this happened *before* I committed to selling it, so hopefully I can get it repaired before I do! Maybe even improved...

With great difficulty, I managed to remove the motor. Once I got past the silicone, it was covered in a LOT of gaffer tape (seriously, I've seen stages with less of the stuff) and obviously all identifying marks have been removed. The rest of the mech is fine, I just need a positive I.D on the motor brand/model so I can replace it, should be an easy fix.

I don't suppose many folks have stripped a VR down this far, so here's a description of the mech:

6Vdc motor with gear reduction of unknown ratio --> steel rod (inside brass feedscrew) --> brass 'clutch' (just a barrel that makes contact with the brass feedscrew via a serrated washer when you tighten the end nut) --> brass feedscrew --> bearing --> black wheel and locking nut. The carriage itself is just a brass block, with some white Delrin (or similar) guides at either end (same dia. as the outer steel tube), then a threaded Delrin nut (attached via pins) at the 'motor end' of the carriage that drives it along.

cosmO_O

Re: Vinyl Recorder T560 Overhead Motor

Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:30 am

"it was covered in a LOT of gaffer tape"

OMG, if its the factory solution, its a big disappointment....

Can you take some photos? For example, Souri uses papst motor and controller for the external platter motor, but he cleaned the brand/type...

handcut

Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:32 am

cosmO_O wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:30 am
"it was covered in a LOT of gaffer tape"

OMG, if its the factory solution, its a big disappointment....

Can you take some photos? For example, Souri uses papst motor and controller for the external platter motor, but he cleaned the brand/type...
Exactly what I thought! Yes, when my head stops spinning from trying to cut 12+ hours a day and repair a lathe and answer around 100 email of 'where's my records', I will make a full report for the community. I think between us we can/should compile a VR Service Manual! :mrgreen:

e3sa934

Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:40 pm

handcut wrote:
I think between us we can/should compile a VR Service Manual! :mrgreen:
Yes!

2bitcomputer

Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:11 pm

I got one of these "Reverse Modules" on ebay years ago and I believe it is the same motor as is inside that tube :

reverse motor.png
Maybe you can buy one from Souri?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Soulbear

Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:27 pm

handcut wrote:
I will make a full report for the community. I think between us we can/should compile a VR Service Manual!
e3sa934 wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:40 pm
Yes!
2bitcomputer wrote:
I got one of these "Reverse Modules" on ebay years ago and I believe it is the same motor as is inside that tube
Finally!!!!! :roll: :roll: :roll: The VR Owners of the World Unite!!!!! What a Great idea. :P :) :D I don't know how much work would be involved for the Administrator to Collate the Various VR Threads, After all is said and done, this wonderful Lathetrolls Forum is a World Class resource ,and as far as I can tell is very much a "Labour of Love" so "BIG THANKS to Steve E"

Maybe collating VR Threads is an ask to FAR!!! OOOOOOOPS!!!!! :D :D :D
Anyhows here's a good place to begin, VR Owners may, or may not have, read this thread :- https://www.lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6205&hilit=who+can+help+me+with+my+vr It's a Thread about a Very Thorough and Pretty Much Complete VR Head Re-build
Regards Soulbear :P :) :D

handcut

Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:08 pm

2bitcomputer wrote:
I got one of these "Reverse Modules" on ebay years ago and I believe it is the same motor as is inside that tube :

Interesting, it certainly looks similar from that small photo. You got it from eBay? There's no chance with Souri, he ghosted me years ago and such heresy as VR service manual is definitely not going to help my cause.

I don't suppose there's any identification on that motor is there?

There's certainly plenty of 6VDC motors with a 22mm diameter out there to try...

cosmO_O

Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:45 am

handcut wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:08 pm
2bitcomputer wrote:

Interesting, it certainly looks similar from that small photo. You got it from eBay? There's no chance with Souri, he ghosted me years ago and such heresy as VR service manual is definitely not going to help my cause.

I don't suppose there's any identification on that motor is there?

There's certainly plenty of 6VDC motors with a 22mm diameter out there to try...
Take pictures, please, and maybe we'll have luck, like with the cutterhead speakers :)

soeffingodly

Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:46 am

I SWEAR I stumbled on a post a while back where someone said they knew the make/model of the motor that powered the overhead. :shrugs:

Sorry to hear you were ghosted. Hopefully you can get this ironed out and get back up and running again.
"I wasn't lying. Things I said later seemed untrue."

tragwag

Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:09 am

Soulbear wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:27 pm
I don't know how much work would be involved for the Administrator to Collate the Various VR Threads
fwiw from a mod, we looked into collapsing parts of the forum for each specific lathe, but it's more efficient and easier to change all thread titles to include "VR" or "T560" or "Presto" instead!

hey handcut, I hope all turns out as best as possible. this is a true nightmare Im sure.
thanks for the reporting
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

handcut

Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:50 pm

soeffingodly wrote:
I SWEAR I stumbled on a post a while back where someone said they knew the make/model of the motor that powered the overhead. :shrugs:
Me too, but I've searched high and low and can't find it now. I'm pretty sure myshank said he'd repaired one, so I emailed him to ask. No reply yet but I know they're busy...
soeffingodly wrote:
Sorry to hear you were ghosted. Hopefully you can get this ironed out and get back up and running again.
It's cool. I expected it. I did my research on here before I went to Hosskirch. I've worked with a lot of grumpy engineers over the years! I have no beef with Souri, but some of the things he's done with to bastardise this machine are more than a little odd.

handcut

Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:55 pm

tragwag wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:09 am

hey handcut, I hope all turns out as best as possible. this is a true nightmare Im sure.
thanks for the reporting
Thanks man. The thing is, it's an easy fix, just not so easy to find the right part. I know very little about DC motors, but I've sure as shit learned a lot about them this week! Don't think I'll be using gaffer tape and silicone to hold it in place, though...

RedSpadeRobyn

Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:02 pm

Thanks for being so transparent with this, Handcut. Everyone is so helpful, It’s been so much easier trying to navigate the 560 knowing there’s a community of people that are all combating something.

emidisc

Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:13 am

Gaffer Tape 😳😳😡😡😡 that is utterly SHIT3 Hancut as previously mentioned I suggest detailed photos .... Plus dimensioned sketches, many people have time on there hands at present (me!) and may be able to help

handcut

Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:10 am

emidisc wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:13 am
Gaffer Tape 😳😳😡😡😡 that is utterly SHIT3 Hancut as previously mentioned I suggest detailed photos .... Plus dimensioned sketches, many people have time on there hands at present (me!) and may be able to help
I know - couldn't believe it when I eventually got the motor out and realised that it was gaffer tape behind the silicone. I thought it was epoxy at first. I've taken a few photos and I'm working on some diagrams so will upload something soon. Thanks.

Ben

Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:31 pm

Hello Fine people!

I thought I'd chime in since I had a problem a couple of years ago... the rod inside the leading screw got bent over time, so to all of you who are tightening the screw too tight beware...lol I was in a production of 200 LP on lathecut... and had a tour coming... so I couldn't stop.

I had to open the whole machine... an amazing brother on this forum, Bennett who's from Montreal like me and is a total genius/machinist came to my studio to help me with that. He was surprised as well of the gaffer tape, but he raised a point that maybe it was used by Souri to help reduce the vibration of the motor into the shaft...who knows

We managed to get all the thing back working, to be honest the first time you open this... you think this is the worst idea you ever had, but in reality ... to see all of it opened... it really demystify this beast and even opens up for great minds on this forum to improve it maybe.

I took some shots during the scary opening :)
Here's all the pictures of the whole assembly:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/r4s6dtgxbq30htx/AAA80YCkpx1Ucs-l0n8f_7Zpa?dl=0

Take care, stay safe!!
Ben

Ps: I finished the order after and probably lost a little life expectancy with that much stress haha!!

PMST

Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:17 am

Amazing photo's Ben! Very very helpful!

jonty2k

Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:16 am

Looking at the images it looks remarkably like a FAULHABER motor, https://www.faulhaber.com/en/products/series/2233s/

handcut

Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:06 am

Ah, wow, yes that's it! Faulhaber S/G 2230 Series DC micromotor with a 22/2 series gearhead. Now to work out which combination... I also have a problem with the inner rod. The clutch bearing barrel housing (the brass thing) isn't true, so the inner rod (the steel one) has a slightly eccentric rotation, which is probably what caused the gearhead to break after 6 years of constant use. Funnily enough, I was also in the middle of a large run of LPs! I'm having a new one made this week.

cosmO_O

Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:23 am

BIG thank you Ben, for the detailed photos, now we have a name and a part no, awesome work guys! :shock: 8)