Alan Graves, Rest in Peace

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Steve E.
Site Admin

Alan Graves, Rest in Peace

Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:38 am

Dear all,

It is with great sadness that I announce --belatedly-- the passing of our beloved member Alan Graves, who posted here as Prestofan.

Alan died on August 19, 2020, weeks short of his 91st birthday. He was dear to me and to a great many to those of us on this forum. He was THE world expert in the history of Presto Lathes. His great site:

http://www.prestohistory.com/

...was one of the early inspirations for this one.

I never had the chance to meet Alan in person. But he was always delighted to chat with me by phone, to help with a technical problem on my Presto 6N lathe or matching amp. His advice was always rock solid, even in his final months. But more importantly, his perpetual joy and warmth, when sharing his life's passion, was a gift in itself. Thanks to Alan, I've tried to embody that same joyful giving energy, when I am called up by strangers for help in my own areas of technical expertise (which are not primarily those of this site).

It is my understanding that Alan's site will continue to be maintained by EpicenterBryan. As Bryan is on a break from here, I will forward contact info for any who need it.

We will miss you, Alan. Thank you for all that you gave, and for your sweetness.

This thread can function as a tribute, for those so inspired.

Here is his obituary:

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/registerguard/obituary.aspx?n=alan-c-graves&pid=196885284

Alan C. Graves

09/07/1929 - 08/19/2020

Alan died on 8/19/2020 at the age of 90.

Alan was born in Eugene, OR to George D. Graves and Eva Elizabeth (Stevens) Graves on September 7, 1929. He was a lifetime resident of Eugene, except for a stint in the Army, and a short time in Port Tobacco, Maryland. He attended High School at Eugene High School, class of 1947. Alan was a co-owner of Graves Music & Art store. He served in the US Army and Reserves for 12 years, attaining the rank of Master Sergeant. In 1960, he met and then married his wife, Ruth M. Voegele. Alan was active in Boy Scouts along with his three sons. He was awarded the Vigil Honor in the Order of Arrow (BSA) and also the Beaver award, the highest award at the Council level in the Boy Scouts.

During his time at the Music store, in 1964 he attended training with IBM Computer Company, and installing the IBM system 3 Computer, the first of many mid-sized computers for small businesses. He then was employed at Valley Wholesale as DP Manager, installing and programming a system 32 computer. After 5 years he left to form a group of "third party" programmers, and later as a sole proprietor, programming many computers for businesses throughout Oregon, Olympia WA, and Naperville IL. He retired from there in 2004.

During a period, from 1946, he also was active in his "hobby and part-time avocation" of disc (phonograph records) recording, opening Graves Recording Service as a part-time endeavor, closing in 1970 when the Music store, known as Music West, merged and then moved their HQ to Bellevue, WA.

When his sons, while in high school became interested in sound and theater, his hobby re-emerged, re-opening a "dub" studio where he recorded tapes and CD's supplied to him by various musicians and hobbyists, to vinyl in stereo on his Scully record lathe. He also researched the History of the Presto Recording Company (1934-1960) hosting a web site, writing a book. He was active in obtaining old Presto Recorders, rejuvenating and then selling them.

He is survived by his wife of 60 years; sons: Richard (Susan), David, Christopher; daughter Jill; and 9 grandchildren. No Services are planned. You may contribute to the Tsisqan Lodge NOAC fund of the Order of Arrow c/o Boy Scouts of America, Eugene, OR.
Please sign the guest book at www.registerguard.com/legacy

To Plant Memorial Trees in memory, please visit our Sympathy Store.
Published in Eugene Register-Guard from Oct. 1 to Oct. 4, 2020.

Steve E.
Site Admin

Re: Alan Graves, Rest in Peace

Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:48 am

Another note:

I regret, and apologize, that it took so long to announce this here. This is not my way. I feel it behooves us in general to get the word out earlier rather than later, for the sake of others who need to grieve and want to take direct part in such proceedings.

I had initially held off on announcing due to a direct request, pending further information; and I delegated the announcement responsibility to the person who made the request. It seemed to make sense to me to give Alan's family some space, as well. When I discovered that we were at almost four months without a posted announcement, I decided to interact directly with the family. I confirmed permission to announce this from one of his sons.

Given the chaos of the year, I think such delays are par for the course, and I hold no resentment on it. But I'd like to personally commit to keeping our members informed of such passings in a more timely manner.

cuttercollector

Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:19 pm

Very sad to hear.
2020 has not been kind to those into all things record related.
Alan got some of my Presto gear when I got rid of many things before my move in 2007.

piaptk

Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:32 pm

Alan has been a huge resource to me over the years, and especially when I first got started. A true legend.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

tragwag

Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:09 pm

man, I'll never forget browsing his site when I first got introduced to record cutting. it felt like a secret only I knew about!
forever thankful for his kindness, sharing nature, and ingenuity. a true gem and such a loss for our community.
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

symatic

Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:54 am

RIP, Alan was really kind and helpful to me when I had questions about my Presto, and reading his site and threads on here provided so much information and inspiration.

What a legend.

socialroots

Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:14 am

Alan Graves,never met him nor had conversations with him ,but i had wriiten an email to him thru his presto site with questions about my very 1st presto cutting head years ago and he was very prompt in his reply and helped me by sharing his experience and knowledge he had about that particular cutting head. Helping out a stranger and a clueless newbie says alot about his person especially when there was no financial gains to be had for helping me out. Rare breed in these times,thank you Mr.Graves.
maximum respect
patrick