Problem with Myshank Stylus size on VR T560

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

hyaenamx

Problem with Myshank Stylus size on VR T560

Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:41 pm

I have just closed my first post about strange noises in my recordings, almost everything could be overcome but it brought up a problem that I think I should deal with separately.

The distance between Hosskirch and Mexico City makes sending and receiving of Stylus incredibly slow (2 months)
For this I made purchases of Stylus in my shank, but I have an issue that does not allow me to record correctly with those Stylus.

It turns out that the size change between Souri and Myshank of something similar to 2mm something like a third of the total size. A situation that when installing Myshank the distance that allows me between the stylus, the suction tube and the disc generates a resonance by the blowing of the tube on the surface of the disc.

I have tried all the possibilities i know to gain space by moving the cutting angle but I do not gain much, before any strange warp in the disc, makes the covered tubes of the cutterhead collide with the suction tube, and the groove is suspended causing the recording fail.

I have 5 stylus in total from Myshank and they are getting smaller and smaller, I know that the size cannot change much, but if I am already at the limit of space any change It takes away space to work.

About 6 emails ago that the crew of Myshank stop to reply.

So I would like to ask if anyone has experienced something similar and if there is any way to fix the bug.

Thank you all.

SueDenim

Re: Problem with Myshank Stylus size on VR T560

Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:50 am

When you say 'size', are you talking about the length of the diamond attached to the shank?
i.e. Souri diamond is longer than MyShank??

PLD

Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:27 am

It certainly seems that way. The suction tube does indeed run much closer to the torque rods (if that's the correct term?) as a result of the significantly shorter diamond. All I can suggest is to move the tube further back from the stylus - about 10mm in my case - which has resulted in the occasional dropped chip moment when lowering the head but it's not too bad. I also find I'm having to use a lot more current for stylus heating, but that's another matter. It works very nicely otherwise.

tragwag

Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:09 am

they vary but in general, the Souri is larger than the myshank in my experience as well.
just redo all your angles, head weights, and torque tube spacing and it should be fine.
after resetting everything to the myshank specs, I never had a problem
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

hyaenamx

Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:55 pm

Thank you for your comments, im still trying to get the correct setup for myshank`s stylus. I`be back.

SueDenim: maybe the diamond are same size but, the exposed part is longer, also the whole Souri stylus. about 2mm in general.