Nichrome wire heater

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

charlief64

Nichrome wire heater

Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:05 pm

I think I read a post here about a homemade stylus heater. I see how you could do a few wraps of nichrome and feed it a low voltage. What type of wire did you use (how many ohms per foot) and how much voltage did you give it (1,2,3 volts dc ... more ?). I want to heat the stylus on my Magnificent RadioTone lathe, but don't know where to start.

Charlie Richards

charlief64@juno.com

Steve E.
Site Admin

Tue May 09, 2006 1:12 am

Anyone else? I gotta go to bed and I would have to re-check my notes. I thought I went into in on an earlier thread.

Be careful heating a stylus attached to a crystal cutting head! I've been doing it, but only because I am experimenting and Gib has my back. The heat apparently will dry the crystal...or might.

Steve E.
Site Admin

Tue May 09, 2006 1:13 am

charlief64

Tue May 09, 2006 10:56 am

Thanx for the relplies. I read the thread. I have a magnetic head that Gib is rewinding for me. I was just wondering if someone had come up with a formula for how much voltage is needed for any particular wire. The wire I have right now is 80 ohms per foot. I was wondering if the wire you guys used had less (or more) resistance. Also ... how many turns do you put on the stylus? I tried 10 turns, and 8 volts and got a slightly warm (not hot) stylus.

Charlie