New lathe wanted (EU)

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Tony

New lathe wanted (EU)

Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:03 am

Hi,

I know this has been covered a few times, but I'm still trying to figure out a way into this...

I have been in loose contact with Souri for the last few years in an attempt to acquire a VR. I knew from the start he was a very particular man to deal with. However, given his reputation and how long this has dragged on, it doesn't seem to be leading anywhere.

I had also contacted Flo a few years ago but all his machines were all sold by that time and unfortunately I don't think he will be making more any time soon.

Judging the phonocut from a few audio samples on the internet, I have to be honest I was not impressed. I mean no disrespect because it takes a lot to build these things but ideally I need something that can cut a proper 12" and can be modified.

I wouldn't mind a 6N, and do not have a problem with mono (in fact I prefer mono in most cases). I remember someone at a record fair selling a Presto console he inherited from a radio DJ... At the time I didn't have a van so just bought all the blanks for cutting at Music House and passed on the lathe - I do regret that as he was not asking much for it. Now I'm not sure they are so easy to find, but maybe something worth considering.

Of the records I've had cut on the VR, some were exceptional and for the bad ones (mainly just mild surface noise and sibilance) I've heard worse cuts on a VMS70. It's modular design/possibilities for modification seem to make it ideal for my purposes. The only catch seems to be the availability, or lack thereof...

With that said, I would appreciate any up to date advice on alternatives to the VR I may have missed, and if there are any plausible DIY routes for piecing together a decent disc cutting lathe or any in development.

Also if anyone is looking to sell in EU...

Based in UK and Italy.

Thanks.

piaptk

Re: New lathe (EU)

Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:20 am

There are several Stereo cutter heads coming onto the market now. A Presto 6N or better lathe can be set up to ruin with diamond and will be a MUCH heavier dutier lathe than Souris.

I sell restored lathes (and can set one up for stereo for you) and provide training and tech support.

Shoot me an email at lathecuts//aaaat///yahooo///dawt///cawm for a list of current lathes I have available.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

Tony

Re: New lathe (EU)

Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:44 pm

Hi Mike - if I was still in the USA I probably wouldn't think twice. Shipping to Europe would involve a fair amount of extra costs and hassle but I will send you an email later. If you can send me a list of restored lathes that would be great.

lecliché

Re: New lathe wanted (EU)

Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:13 am

According to the latest email from Phonocut (January 2022), the revised delivery date is (at the very earliest) Winter of 2024.
2 more years wait. Added to the original 2 year delay.
Anyone who wants out can ask for a refund.
They have now closed pre-orders and say they will honour all preorders at the original price (2500 I think?) but that the revised retail price is likely to be between 8 and 10,000 euros! Glups.

HannesFTL

Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:49 am

Think we can safely move the Phonocut to the not-gonna-happen/(not intentional) _____ list

Get out while you still can

soeffingodly

Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:36 am

I'd still look into international shipping. I had to suck it up for my VR but it was SO WORTH IT. And a 6N rocking a stereo head with a diamond will be totally B.A. as well. I'd give a +1 to piaptk, he is amazing to deal with. We've done lots of business.
"I wasn't lying. Things I said later seemed untrue."

piaptk

Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:07 pm

I can occasionally be persuaded to deliver a lathe from the US to Europe through carryon luggage, which minimizes shipping and customs and ensures you get training and set up on your hometurf.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com