Help identifying some old equipment

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Cmuller0420

Help identifying some old equipment

Wed May 19, 2021 12:41 am

Hey there,

I was recently able to acquire some lathe equipment from an old fellow I have bought equipment over the years from. I’m pretty new to the vinyl lathe side of audio, so I kinda know what I have but uncertain what else I would need or what some of these pieces do exactly. (Will attach some pictures)

1. Rek-o-kut challenger. The unit is in pretty good cosmetic shape, now it still needs the electronic test. There is a spare arm for it that is larger that the one currently mounted as well.

2. Rek-o-kut challenger - this one looks rough and is in a home made case it looks like. It doesn’t have the front panel controls that the other does.

3. Rek-o-kut ?? It’s just the motor assembly without the plinth. Looks similar to what is on the two tables above, but a different model number (D15)

4. An even older lathe in a suitcase enclosure. Not really sure what this unit is.

5. Presto 92-B - this looks to be an amplifier used for vinyl cutting?

6. Presto 901A3 - couldn’t find much for info in this at all

7. RCA Attenuation panel type 89-a - don’t think this is for a lathe, maybe old broadcast equipment?

Is the Challenger an all in one system? Or do these presto pieces tie in somehow? The goal is to learn and then eventually move into a stereo lathe.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jesus H Chrysler

Re: Help identifying some new equipment

Wed May 19, 2021 11:33 pm

The complete challenger is indeed an all in one unit. The one in the box will need an external amp. The 92-b will be good. Unfortunately I don't see any heads on the second one or the spare overhead. The suitcase lathe is a meissner, needs a ton of work and not worth much, the other presto unit appears to be for a tape machine.

Cmuller0420

Thu May 20, 2021 3:00 pm

Thanks for the info!

The challenger in the box, would the presto amp work?

Is there any additional processing equipment that would be needed?

handcut

Mon May 24, 2021 10:28 am

Cmuller0420 wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 3:00 pm
Thanks for the info!

The challenger in the box, would the presto amp work?

Is there any additional processing equipment that would be needed?
https://www.lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=8328