vacuum suction noise

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

nikc

vacuum suction noise

Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:57 am

Hello everyone!
I got a new pump recently, and got the swarf jar and tube really air tight. The suction noise near the stylus is loud now. Which is good as it picks up the swarf more easily now, as its powerful.
But I am hearing a slight noise on the record now, which could be other issues (need more heat etc which i have been increasing),.
But i wondred if its the suction noise on the record playback. Anyone know this to be an issue?

Best

Nik
Nik Clifford
Pearl Home Records

tragwag

Re: vacuum suction noise

Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:27 pm

yeah I've had this issue before, do you use a variac?
that's what I use to keep the suction only as high as I need it without getting audible in the cut or potentially crushing the tubing
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

nikc

Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:42 am

Hello tragwag, thanks for replying.
No I am not using a variac, Its a vacuum pump by Vevor. It is 2 stage with 5cfm. It is powerful but was cheap so I am thinking it might not last long.
I made a new nozzle that doesn't bend at the end to get in place but curves round and has a more open opening. There is much less noise now and what a difference to the sound on the record. I am very happy with it.

Best
Nik
Nik Clifford
Pearl Home Records

tragwag

Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:33 am

awesome, glad to hear it got sorted. in general I'd really suggest a variac. I've run all of my vacuums over the years at 90 volts the highest (out of 120 usually)

Discomo

Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:07 am

tragwag wrote:
awesome, glad to hear it got sorted. in general I'd really suggest a variac. I've run all of my vacuums over the years at 90 volts the highest (out of 120 usually)
Excellent suggestion.
I have a variac here which I use only for powering up old tube gear. Will use it on my suction soon as a voltage regulator.
The suction I have atm is from Souri, pretty good actually. It's a side blower and something else than what he was selling before.
Very quiet. But I still have a slight noise in my cuts, inaudible almost. After having given both speed&heat controller and EQ/iriaa (of the TR 560) a separate psu (which dramatically eliminated low noise),
and having decreased the space between suction-tube and stylus/blank to 1 mm (thank you PMST for many many suggestions and comforting support!) the only noise left is a windlike, midrange noise. Hope the variac will eliminate this as well.
(already have thrown out all unnecessary equipment, leaving me only with DAW >main unit (=speed/heat/eq regulator) > Amp > Cutter.

nikc

Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:37 pm

Hi Thanks this is all Good information..I Will look up Variac and side blower.
Best
Nik
Nik Clifford
Pearl Home Records

tragwag

Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:43 pm

Discomo wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:07 am
tragwag wrote:
Excellent suggestion.
I have a variac here which I use only for powering up old tube gear. Will use it on my suction soon as a voltage regulator.
The suction I have atm is from Souri, pretty good actually. It's a side blower and something else than what he was selling before.
Very quiet. But I still have a slight noise in my cuts, inaudible almost. After having given both speed&heat controller and EQ/iriaa (of the TR 560) a separate psu (which dramatically eliminated low noise),
and having decreased the space between suction-tube and stylus/blank to 1 mm (thank you PMST for many many suggestions and comforting support!) the only noise left is a windlike, midrange noise. Hope the variac will eliminate this as well.
(already have thrown out all unnecessary equipment, leaving me only with DAW >main unit (=speed/heat/eq regulator) > Amp > Cutter.
interesting! what level is this mid-oriented wind like noise coming in at dB wise?

Discomo

Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:26 pm

tragwag wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:43 pm
interesting! what level is this mid-oriented wind like noise coming in at dB wise?
Totally missed this post
Can’t say exactly (don’t have the software to measure it)
But it’s gone now, since I use the variac. So your suggestion was truly excellent.
Finally found a good use for this bulky variac 😄👍🙏

karl hungus

Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:26 am

Just for others with the same problem, I use a player piano vacuum that has a built in small variac. Its been working great so far. Similarly, I run it at about 75% of its max and that got rid of the whistling.
You can get them on ebay for about $300.

tragwag

Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:07 am

awesome, glad it got sorted!
I use the same ebay player piano vac now with my own variac. it's really quiet and runs great, except when it's 78F+ in the studio and I have to do sides longer than 5min.
in that case I take the little rubber plug off the 2nd pipe and it stays cool enough not to overheat