juke box large hole lathe cuts

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

tragwag

juke box large hole lathe cuts

Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:34 am

I've been making a lot of jukebox cuts lately and wanted to see if anyone had an elegant solution for large hole blanks?
the trusty yellow plastic spider inserts have popped out and ruined the cut more than a few times.
I have a metal Presto branded 45 insert but it's too tall to be used with the clamp that holds the blank down.
any thoughts?
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

misjah

Re: juke box large hole lathe cuts

Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:29 am

I’d have something machined. Should be pretty easy for somebody with a lathe (the metal kind) :)

David34

Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:04 am

A mate of mine had a 3D printer and made a "shim" for me of plastic. Works well.

tragwag

Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:29 am

David34 wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:04 am
A mate of mine had a 3D printer and made a "shim" for me of plastic. Works well.
cool! does it sit below your standard hold down clamp?

timinbovey

Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:00 am

Back in the 50's Webcor made 45 hole adapters made of steel. I have found these to be the most stubborn, durable, and indestructible 45 centers ever made. I have bags full of them - having bought and hoarded tens of thousands of 45's over the years, I've accumulated a lot of various centers. I do not know if they would work for your purposes, or if they could be too difficult to get in and out of anything but a plastic 45, but they're pretty flat and hell for stout. If you google "webcor 45 adapter" or webcore 45 center, etc you should be able to pop up a photo of one on google. If you want to try one PM me your address and I'll toss one in the mail. Would be interesting to see how they work!

Tim in Bovey

tragwag

Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:16 pm

timinbovey wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:00 am
Back in the 50's Webcor made 45 hole adapters made of steel. I have found these to be the most stubborn, durable, and indestructible 45 centers ever made. I have bags full of them - having bought and hoarded tens of thousands of 45's over the years, I've accumulated a lot of various centers. I do not know if they would work for your purposes, or if they could be too difficult to get in and out of anything but a plastic 45, but they're pretty flat and hell for stout. If you google "webcor 45 adapter" or webcore 45 center, etc you should be able to pop up a photo of one on google. If you want to try one PM me your address and I'll toss one in the mail. Would be interesting to see how they work!

Tim in Bovey
oh awesome, I'll send a PM thanks Tim!