Presto K8 Record Lathe problems:

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

vintagelover985

Presto K8 Record Lathe problems:

Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:14 am

Hello, I have been attempting for the last few months to create a record using a Presto K 8 Record Lathe. However, my experiments have proven fruitless. The machine runs and will cut into the record, however, when I play back the record has an awful hiss to it and the music is barely audible. Could someone please help me understand what is going on with this? I would like to get these records working so I can make copies of all my 78's and put them in my Jukeboxs to preserve these wonderful disks. While reworking history!

piaptk

Re: Presto K8 Record Lathe problems:

Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:18 pm

The hiss is because you are most likely using dead needles or using a wrong combination of needles and blanks.

The low volume is most likely because your 5c cutterhead has armature rubber that has gotten dried and crusty and is not allowing the armature free movement. And/or the amplifier isnt working.

I sell tech support sessions and can help you with it.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

piaptk

Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:20 pm

If you havent already seen this, start here: https://www.lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=8328&start=20
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.LatheCuts.com

soeffingodly

Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:17 am

+1 on Mike's Tech Support
"I wasn't lying. Things I said later seemed untrue."

vintagelover985

Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:47 pm

piaptk wrote:
The hiss is because you are most likely using dead needles or using a wrong combination of needles and blanks.

The low volume is most likely because your 5c cutterhead has armature rubber that has gotten dried and crusty and is not allowing the armature free movement. And/or the amplifier isnt working.

What do you mean by dead needles? I got the tungsten needles fresh from a producer. Would you be able to help me repair the amplifier?

piaptk

Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:53 pm

vintagelover985 wrote:
piaptk wrote:

What do you mean by dead needles? I got the tungsten needles fresh from a producer. Would you be able to help me repair the amplifier?
You get what you pay for with the tungstens. And unless you are sure you are using the correct type of discs, you will get even less.

I can restore the cutter head for you, but I don't do tube amplifiers. I personally use modern power amps.
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.LatheCuts.com

vintagelover985

Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:04 pm

piaptk wrote:
vintagelover985 wrote:
piaptk wrote:

You get what you pay for with the tungstens. And unless you are sure you are using the correct type of discs, you will get even less.

I can restore the cutter head for you, but I don't do tube amplifiers. I personally use modern power amps.
Okay. The amp I believe is working I can double check. How would I send the head to you? Also what kind of needle should I be using?

soeffingodly

Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:22 pm

vintagelover985 wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:04 pm
piaptk wrote:
vintagelover985 wrote:

Okay. The amp I believe is working I can double check. How would I send the head to you? Also what kind of needle should I be using?
I'd have Mike rebuild the head and then cop a few of his sapphire embossing stylus. They work fantastic and make great quality cuts. I suggest emailing him directly.
"I wasn't lying. Things I said later seemed untrue."