Rek-0-kut Challenger TR-12H question

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

morrisjer

Rek-0-kut Challenger TR-12H question

Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:08 pm

I am still trying to get capacitors for my Rek-0-kut Challenger so I can replace them. The electronics places in my town doesn't have them...DUH DUH...so I may have to order online.
Wonder if anyone there would know where I could order all of them at once? I took one paper cap out and it is a:
Pyramid Tube-u-lar paper capacitor. MFD 1003 D.C W.V. Part number T6-D3.
I had originally thought the 1003 was 003 but someone corrected me on that. Can you tell what caps you need according to the schematic? I know...I am DUH on this but have to start somewhere. Thanks! Jerry

kcdonahue

Re: Rek-0-kut Challenger TR-12H question

Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:50 pm

Do you have a link to the schematic? If so helping is pretty easy but it will only get you a part of way there. It is best to verify each cap in the unit to account for any production changes or previous modifications. I prefer to order most of my parts from Mouser. Where are you located?

KC

morrisjer

Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:57 pm

Thanks for your reply. I am located in Bristol, Tennessee

kcdonahue

Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:58 pm

I am going off the response you received in an earlier thread and have no direct experience with your cutter amp. If the provided schematics were incorrect the details below may also be incorrect...

Have you confirmed if you amp is the same as the R8 amplifier in the Imperial as mentioned in the earlier thread where potential schematics were provided. If so, is it the 8A or 8B schematic?

You should be able to confirm what you have my comparing the tube compliment. A quick glance at the tube markings should get you what you need. Worst case if the tube marking are wiped off, the R8A uses 6V6 output tubes and the R8B uses 6973 output tubes. They are easy to tell apart as the 6V6 are octal tubes which are somewhat short and fat, having phenolic bases and 8 pins, whereas the 6973 are skinny tubes with 9 pins and no bases.

KC

morrisjer

Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:01 pm

I looked on the back of my ROK Challenger amp and it has 8A-1247
Jerry