Is polycarbonate a high fidelity material to emboss/cut records with?

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

plasticmastic

Is polycarbonate a high fidelity material to emboss/cut records with?

Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:47 pm

Hi there,

First post, new to records, eager to learn.
Hope I'm not breaking and forum decorum.

I’m trying to learn which material is best to emboss/lathe records with.

Several sources make note of polycarbonate.

1. https://thevinylfactory.com/features/a-beginners-guide-to-lathe-cutting-your-own-records/
2. https://www.lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?t=5986
3. https://nylathecuts.com/quality

[Question 1]: What other materials could I use? My research shows that lacquer and PVC are viable options but do they objectively sound better than polycarbonate?

I’m wondering if polycarbonate is indeed a good material to emboss/lathe records with. There seems to be chatter online about how it is static-prone and creates a noise generated by the polycarbonate material, as stated anecdotally on forums like this: https://www.ilxor.com/ILX/ThreadSelectedControllerServlet?boardid=41&threadid=14190

[Question 2]: Are anecdotal reports of polycarbonate lathe/emboss records true in that they convey less bass, produce a polycarbonate-specific noise, and are prone to static?

[Question 3]: If you could, hypothetically, create a new medium to emboss/cut records with, what plastic/other materials would you use?

Thanks for the thoughts and replies.
Cheers,

plasticmastic

Re: Is polycarbonate a high fidelity material to emboss/lathe records with?

Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:19 pm

Hi boryo,

What a great guide.

This further confirms that polycarbonate is a viable and decent-fidelity material.
(PC) Polycarbonate Plastic – The standard for affordability meets durability and fidelity Available from any plastic supplier, these discs are affordable and can yield a very nice sounding record.
If this is the case, I must refer to my first question:
I’m wondering if polycarbonate is indeed a good material to emboss/lathe records with. There seems to be chatter online about how it is static-prone and creates a noise generated by the polycarbonate material, as stated anecdotally on forums like this: https://www.ilxor.com/ILX/ThreadSelectedControllerServlet?boardid=41&threadid=14190

Are these reports purely anecdotaal? Perhaps improperly cut?

boryo

Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:40 am

i would say if your main concern is hi-fi then don't even thing about embossing. your only option is cutting

piaptk

Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:14 pm

having embossed tens of thousands (if not over 100,000) of records at my studio over the last 15 years, I can tell you it is more than anecdotally proven that Polycarbonate is the best material for embossing. But it DOES create static and draw dust, but it can be cleaned off, and if properly stored (not left outside of the sleeve for longer than it takes to play it), it is not a huge deal. Embossed Records and Diamond Cut/Lacquer Dubs are two very different products for two very different markets. Embossed records are "pretty good" and "relatively cheap" to produce in small qtys. Diamond cuts and Lacquer dubs are at least 3 times as expensive and are usually made as one-off personal copies.

But, for "high fidelity", Boryo is correct... you must cut with diamonds onto PETG or use NOS sapphire cutting styli on lacquers.

However, as a newbie, I highly recommend you start with embossing on polycarbonate to get to know your machine. Embossing is much less complicated and much cheaper. If you make a mistake (you will) and toast a neeedle, it is much cheaper to resharpen than a diamond would be. And some people who start off requiring "high fidelity", start with embossing and find that they prefer it and never upgrade.

Embossing can yield very nice sounding records for a very low price and a relatively low frustration level.

I also sell Tech Support calls via Skype to answer all your questions and help you get rolling very quickly. I can give you more information in 2 hours than you can glean in months trying to sort through all the info on this site. And then you can come back to the site with a better understanding of the vocabulary and process, which makes the information easier to parse.

http://www.RecordLatheParts.com
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

plasticmastic

Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:51 pm

Hi piaptk,

Thanks for your thorough reply.

I'm actually not trying to enter into the world of embossing/lathing per se. Rather, I'm trying to create a 'new' type of 12inch record and was curious to see which material and cutting method would be best according to its material.

From your reply, polycarbonate + embossing is a good and economic product and given that my prototype is currently made out of polycarbonate, this will be the first method that I will try.

Out of curiosity, would a polycarbonate + diamond-cut yield better results than if it was embossed? I understand there are several variables at play (cutting technician, the cutting machine itself, needle sharpness, etc) but in general, I'm curious to hear about your experience.

Cheers

piaptk

Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:34 am

I have cut plenty of diamond hifi discs, but because of the fragile and expensive nature of diamonds, i have done zero experimentation with them. I have been told that polycarbonate gives an inferior cut to petg and is harder on the needle by someone who has experimented.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.LatheCuts.com

piaptk

Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:35 am

I have cut plenty of diamond hifi discs, but because of the fragile and expensive nature of diamonds, i have done zero experimentation with them. Ive experimented heavily with every other type of needle and material, but don’t want to put a $300 stylus at risk. I have been told that polycarbonate gives an inferior cut to petg and is harder on the needle by someone who has experimented, but i cant tell you first hand.
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.LatheCuts.com

plasticmastic

Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:18 pm

piatk,

Thanks for your input.
If I've understood you correctly, embossing polycarbonate yields good results.
Further, you've yet to use a diamond tip for polycarbs cuts due to risk and damange to the diamond tip.

Cheers for your help