Best Drivers/Speakers for DIY cutting head?

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

001diskey

Best Drivers/Speakers for DIY cutting head?

Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:13 am

I got a cutter head I built but with the speakers I have on it atm I don't get great high end and it's not as loud as I'd like.
I was wondering what would be the best speakers/drivers to use for a cutting head?
These seem like they might work but I wanted to get some more info before I buy.
https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton-Audio-DAEX32QMB-4-Quad-Feet-Mega-Bass-32mm-Exciter-40-295-264?gclid=CjwKCAjwyIKJBhBPEiwAu7zll0rSrvXRNrjgJVEgrCNja_FYbj3h04GKnslOkZ3nbXWMq3tViL31NxoCuzEQAvD_BwE

Thanks!

PMST

Re: Best Drivers/Speakers for DIY cutting head?

Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:04 am

If using random drivers, have you made sure you have worked out its frequency response and made the correct EQ curve to match it? I know even with VR, each head can be different, I have made maybe 10 EQ curves for people and all are different, just thought its worth mentioning, apologies if you have already done this!

juba bc

Re: Best Drivers/Speakers for DIY cutting head?

Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:55 am

Also check that the connection of the coil to the torque tube is tight, if there is any soft spot in the middle of the way, your treble will not reach your stylus, all interconnected pieces need to work as if they were a single piece