Help - Setup

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

kafkablues

Help - Setup

Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:17 pm

Hi folks,

I'm currently looking for someone to help set up my cutter. (Im based in the northwest of england, Burnley to be exact.)

I have had the cutter for a few years now. It was an all in one cutter, with everything setup to perfection when I got purchased it. Made quite a few good cuts, after the usual early blunders.

My main issue has been my turntable. Long story short I had to get this fixed. However on return the legs that were originaly attached were gone, never to be found. So since, it has been a long battle to get everything back to the perfect setup I had. Yet no matter what, I've never felt 100% confident that I have got everything right.

So I am looking for someone to help me out. In addition to the set up, I have been using a diamond needle, now I want to change to an embossing cone. So before doing this it would be great if an experienced cutter could teach me what I need to know. I'm sure it will be basic stuff to most.

Of course I'm happy to pay what ever the going rate is. :D

I will be eternally greatful.

DM Me if interested.

PMST

Re: Help - Setup

Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:39 am

What lathe are you using?

tragwag

Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:43 pm

^^^ yeah what PMST said.
if it's a lathe I'm familiar with I could offer video chat consult services. though I'm sure you'd prefer an in person helper if someone's able
I've worked full time on Presto 6N + T560 Vinyl Recorder machines for 9 years and 7 years respectively if that's helpful
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

kafkablues

Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:16 pm

It’s a fairchild overhead on an sp15 with a homebrew feedscrww motor.

Grampian feedback cutter head type d.