Where are people buying their blank acetates from?

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Jccc

Where are people buying their blank acetates from?

Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:53 pm

So its been a while since i bought some blank acetates. i've been embossing for awhile. And wanna get back into cutting loud records i can scratch with.

I have seen the news on Apollo masters accident and it doesn't look like on their site you can purchase blanks anymore.

So is there any other place to get brand new acetates?

Aussie0zborn

Re: Where are people buying their blank acetates from?

Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:22 am

Only one manufacturer now. Order from:

ProTape, UK
NiPro, USA
Estemac, Germany

Jccc

Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:34 pm

thanks for the help. i will see whats up with NiPro.

I guess i could just buy a diamond and start cutting on petg?

But i have a few Sapphire needles that i wanna use for acetates

Dub Studio

Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:16 am

Aren't acetates a nightmare to scratch with? Being as they are so heavy, and delicate?

Jccc

Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:56 am

well i remember Apollo masters started making those thinner dub plates for scratching and for Dj use. i actually bought some back in the day and they actually sort of worked.
But since they are not around any more my best option would be to go the diamond needle cutting petg plastic route. It would be alot cheaper in the long run as well now looking at it.

I guess i can use the acetates for records that are strictly made for “listening” then to be played as a instrument.

farmersplow

Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:36 pm

I would also like to switch from sapphire with lacquer to diamond with PET-G. (Lacquer discs at $30 each is a bit expensive on the one hand, although lacquer discs are less durable for direct playback).
But where can I get diamond styli??? Unfortunately, My-Shank and Souri are not responding. Does anyone of you have an idea where I can get diamond gravers with a 1:20 Neumann shank? For me, best from Europe.
Greetings from Austria
Thomas

Dub Studio

Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:31 pm

Jccc wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:56 am
well i remember Apollo masters started making those thinner dub plates for scratching and for Dj use.
Yeah I remember those. 1mm thick "reference lites" I think they were called. I bought a box too, but never got on with them. Almost all of them had a massive dent the size of a 50p piece in the substrate. I know their dubs were never supposed to be perfect (according the lacquer reject explanation anyway) but I never understood how Apollo came to make something so obviously flawed when they can't have been rejected lacquers, and the Audiodisc blue (which were almost exactly the same) were almost always fine.

SueDenim

Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:46 pm

Hey Thomas.
As they're also in Austria, I suggest you drop drdub a message as they'll at least be able to give you some advice on where they get their lacquers and styli from.

farmersplow

Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:25 pm

SueDenim wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:46 pm
Hey Thomas.
As they're also in Austria, I suggest you drop drdub a message as they'll at least be able to give you some advice on where they get their lacquers and styli from.
Thanks for the tip. The guys at Dr.Dub are very helpful. They helped me out with a few blanks last year (although they only had "few" themselves)!
MyShank got in touch on Sunday and I was finally able to order two Diamant-Styli - they'll be with me tomorrow - if it works, then MyShank will be very quick!
Anyway thanks again - I will contact Dr.Dub.
Greetings from Austria
Thomas