Possible Sources For Polycarbonate

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

SONARC

Possible Sources For Polycarbonate

Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:19 pm

My wife and I went out to a favorite restaurant last night, and she commented on the fact that they still had the poly sheets attached to the booth dividers; something a lot of us have seen during the past couple of years, as many service-oriented businesses had cornered the market for commercial poly during the height of the COVID pandemic. There was a brief period during the last 12-18 months, when I had heard several lathe cutters lament that poly was in short supply, as it has been used to provide social distancing barriers in banks, post offices, restaurants and shops everywhere. Anyway, when she made that comment, it crossed my mind that at some point all of those businesses would eventually be offloading tons of poly in different sizes and shapes, and that while a lot of it might not be ideal for lathe cut releases, I'd wager that quite a lot of it might be, if it isn't too thick, warped, or scratched - and at the very least, could possibly be useful for making prelimibnary test cuts, rather than sacrificing perfectly good blanks. And, if any of it *is* usable, there's the benefit of upcycling and keeping it out of landfills, and possibly, some businesses might even be willing to let folks have it for a discounted rate. Just thought I'd put that out there, for whatever it may or may not be worth. Maybe it's a dumb idea, but you never know until you try!

tragwag

Re: Possible Sources For Polycarbonate

Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:57 pm

could be worth it for tests!
though the stuff I've seen out in the world is usually much thicker than the 1/16" stuff I cut on.
and I would imagine the level of warps and scuffs is much higher.
heck I get scuffs and warps sometimes with the protective sheeting still on just moving them around my studio.
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com